Author Topic: John JOrdan Mary Nagle  (Read 8001 times)

Offline wren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
John JOrdan Mary Nagle
« on: Saturday 29 October 05 08:58 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any information on John Jordan and Mary Nagle
( husabnad and wife). They lived at Kilmoon in the early eighteen hundreds. They along with their daughters Mary and Bridget and son Donald, along with two other family members migrated to Australia. Mary Jordan (daughter) married James Shipman at St. Frances Xavier Cathedral Wollongong in 1848. We have a considerable amount of informationabout their life in Australia. Its their pre Australia days that baffle us.
Thanks
Wren

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: John JOrdan Mary Nagle
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 October 05 03:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello Wren,

I am coming forwards to work backwards. There were Nagles in Co. Clare in 1855. You can use the same table there to check for Jordan. Then with a bit of luck you may be able to establish the townland. http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php
It would help to know the religious persuasion although details of the family may well appear in Church of Ireland records. www.youririsheyes.com/church_records.html  The Penal Laws were strict and the Roman Catholics were reluctant to keep records. Some started keeping records in the 1820s but several started much later.

Best Wishes, Christopher

Offline wren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 October 05 03:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Christopher I will check all of this out.
Wren

Offline JClock

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Griffiths valuations
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 December 06 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I have found entries in Griffiths Valuations and would like to know what do I do with the information now.  Is there something else I can now go to with this info for more details?  I have no idea what to do now and any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you
Jean

Offline wren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 December 06 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jean
I haven't seen the Griffith Valuation for Nagle, Jordan, but I guess you could then go to the local parish and check to see if there are any baptisms, marriages or deaths for either the JOrdans or the Nagles. I tend to be very fastidious and want all my i's dotted and my t's crossed. When I went to Ireland I found the Griffith Valuation to be a guide but in some cases having many possibilities and you needed an educated guess.
So to confirm your suspisions etc you need to check other sources.
Good Luck
Wren.

Offline JClock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Nagle
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 December 06 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Wren
thanks for replying.  I have no connections with Jordans - only Nagle's.  I found the entries in Griffiths, townland Carrowduff, which I know is correct.  What I am noot sure of is - other than the index, what is in the original records and have you any idea where I can access these ones. 
Maybe you are able to answer another question I was wondering about - Poor Law Unions?  Are these available for checking anywhere because I would imagine there are entries for my family.  Any advice is appreciated.
Jean

Offline wren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 December 06 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Jean
I'm not sure about the poor unions. I'm also interested in any Nagle history, as it all adds to the bigger picture. I do know that a couple of Nagles came to Australia with the Jordans. They were two girls, I need to go back to my records and see who. I don't have those records to hand, just at the moment, but will have them for you next weekend. This might be of some small help.
Regards
Wren

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 April 08 12:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Wren,

You'll have to rely on Church records as your ancestors were born before Civil Registration was introduced in Ireland. Non Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 onwards. When registration for BDMs started in 1864 some people didn't bother with the registration for a few years after that date. Keep your fingers crossed that church records still exist.

Christopher

Offline Lindy T

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Jordan Mary Nagle
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 February 09 01:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wren
I was googling my ancestors and cam across this chatroom and your message re John Jordan and Mary Nagle. Mary Jordan was my great x 4 or so grandmother. I am in Nana Glen NSW Australia and a lot of the relaives live at Glenreagh about 12 klms from me. Are you related ?