Author Topic: BRIMAGER/YANDELL family  (Read 5624 times)

Offline Debw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
BRIMAGER/YANDELL family
« on: Saturday 29 October 05 13:24 BST (UK) »
I have recently come across some links from the villages of Silverton, Broad Clyst and Willand in Devon of a family which seems to use two surnames - Brimager and Yandell - each of these names has variations - Brimidger/Brimeger and Yondle/Yondell.

Some entries on the LDS website list members with either Brimager/Brimidger some with Yandell/Yondle and some list the surnames as 'Brimager or Yandell' and 'Yandell or Brimager'

Has anyone else come across this link and come any part way to sorting out who is who and where they are connected.

Yours - very confused

Debbie
Wiltshire - Birmingham, Dublin, Devizes
Jolliffe - Portesham/Portland, Dorset,
Grimme - London,
Masters - Alton Pancras/Piddletrenthide, Dorset,
Rogers - Broadwey, Dorset
Townsend - Upwey/Evershot, Dorset
Fuzzard - Portland, Dorset,
Mellish/Melluish/Melhuish - Broad Clyst, Devon
Lakeman - London
Cornford - Shorne, Kent

Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Craftycorner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brimager/Yandell
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 April 06 17:08 BST (UK) »
Hi - if I am with the same family group as you I found John Brimager/Brimidger married Sarah Rendell in 1747 - in Silverton.   To add to the confusion some of the Brimagers changed their surname to Birmingham.  I wonder what happened at the time to need to use different surnames?   

I have been looking at the Brimager family as it links into my family tree so if you think I can help you, or maybe you can help me, please get in touch.

Regards
Melluish
Melhuish
Welton
Fisk
Benfell
Pinder
Wells
Baker
Burgess
Currie

Offline Debw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 April 06 18:38 BST (UK) »
I feel sure that this must be the same family as the ones I have also come from this area.

However I do not have in my details, so far, the John that you mention. It may be that I have come across this person but have not known how he links to my detail.

I would be willing to give you what I have

Regards

Debbie
Grimme - London,
Lakeman - London
Cornford - Shorne, Kent

Offline Craftycorner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 April 06 20:42 BST (UK) »
The link I have into the Brimager family is as follows:

Samuel & Agnis Brimager/Brimidger had 3 children that I know of:
John 1720
Samuel 1722
Christopher 1727

John 1720 married Sarah Rendell/Yendell in 1747 and they had 4 children that I know of:
Sarah 1755
Anthony 1788
Robert 1762 (who possibly married Ann Turner in 1783)
James 1764

Samuel 1722 possibly married an Elizabeth and there may be one son
John 1756

Christopher 1727married Mary Chamberlaine in 1753 and they had at least 9 children
Sarah 1755-1759
Mary 1757-1828 married John Hunt
Robert 1759 possibly changed his name from Brimager to Birmingham - married Elizabeth Shapley
Thomasin 1761-1850 married William Melluish
Ann 1764 married Alexander Webber
Emlyn 1766
Christopher 1769-1846 changed his name from Brimager to Birmingham - married Penelope
John 1772-1850 possibly changed his name from Brimager to Birmingham - married Sally Warren
Agnis 1776

I have further family members attached to some of the above, but am I making any connections with your tree?

How does this compare to anything you have researched, and does this tie into your family details?

Regards
Melluish
Melhuish
Welton
Fisk
Benfell
Pinder
Wells
Baker
Burgess
Currie

Offline abrimager

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 June 06 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am Ashely Brimager and I am currently living in the U.S (California) and am looking for records in the UK.  I have heard some confusing stories from family members about the orgins and was *thrilled* to see the name pop up in the search!  Apparently the name is very hard to find!

I am only slightly familiar with the UK and have never been to Devon County? What are some resrouces there?

Thank you!

Offline Craftycorner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 June 06 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Asheley, delighted you have made contact.
How far have you got so far with your family search?   I have so far filled in the family tree using internet available information, but at some time I will go to Devon to find out more in Parish Records.   I have Census records every 10 years from 1841 available via ancestry.co.uk but have used familysearch.org as well.   Some Brimagers changed their surname to Birmingham for some reason, and I have details of some of the people who did that.   My connection is in Devon so I have searched in as many places as possible without actually visiting Devon to continue the research.   My email address is MODERATOR COMMENT: email address removed to avoid spam and other abuses. Please use personal message system to share email addresses. Thank You so if you want to send me information you have already found I can see if it ties in with what I have.   Look forward to hearing from you.
Melluish
Melhuish
Welton
Fisk
Benfell
Pinder
Wells
Baker
Burgess
Currie

Offline Debw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 June 06 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hello again Craftycorner

I am sorry that i appear not to have replied to your last message - I don't know what happened to make me miss that.

My connection (to be accurate my husband's connection) is to Thomasin who married William Melhuish. One of their 8 children was Sarah Melhuish who married John Rogers, of Broadwey, Weymouth, Dorset.

I do not know where they got married, but all the children were christened in Broadwey.

John and Sarah were my husband's gt gt grandparents.

Hello to Ashley - hope the three of us may be able to make some links. I have also so far got most of my Brimager/Brimidger/Birmingham info from the internet - but also have had contact with the OPC for Silverton, Devon.

To you both my e mail is MODERATOR COMMENT: email address removed to avoid spam and other abuses. Please use personal message system to share email addresses. Thank You

Regards

Debbie
Grimme - London,
Lakeman - London
Cornford - Shorne, Kent

Offline Craftycorner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 June 06 23:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thomasin Brimager is my husband's 4th great grandmother.   My husband's line is your Sarah's brother John.    I have found earlier Brimager's, back to Samuel Brimager born c1690.   I am always looking to expand my tree so any help you can give me would be very gratefuly received.   If I can answer any questions I would be pleased to do so.

Regards,
Sandra
Melluish
Melhuish
Welton
Fisk
Benfell
Pinder
Wells
Baker
Burgess
Currie

Offline Debw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 June 06 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Sandra

I think after checking my e mails that we have swappen information before - can' think why I din't remember. I am not even sure if I have incorporated all that yu sent me into my tree. I should have time in the next few weeks so will have look at it again then.

Regards

Debbie
Grimme - London,
Lakeman - London
Cornford - Shorne, Kent