Author Topic: Hogg/Finlayson/Paterson/Miller/Yorkston  (Read 2543 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Hogg/Finlayson/Paterson/Miller/Yorkston
« on: Saturday 29 October 05 17:49 BST (UK) »
Researching Peter Hogg, born 1793/4 in Larbert, illegitimate son of Robert Hogg and Janet Finlayson, married (1) Janet Yorkston in 1819 and (2) Margaret Russell in 1826.

His eldest son James Hogg, born 1820, married in 1841 Margaret Paterson, born 1821, daughter of Hugh Paterson and Ann Miller. I have details of their descendants.

I think that Hugh Paterson was born in Cramond, Midlothian in 1766, son of James Paterson and Margaret Baillie, that Ann Miller, whom he married in 1814, was his second wife, and that his first wife was Jean Thomson, whom he married in 1791.

Any further information would be much appreciated.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hogg/Finlayson/Paterson/Miller/Yorkston
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 October 05 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian,

Found this in the BVRs:

HOG, Peter
Christening Date: 8 Jan 1794
Recorded in: Larbert, Stirlingshire, Scotland
Father:   Robert HOG
Mother:   Janet FINLAYSON
Source:   FHL Film 1041953   Dates:   1723 - 1855

Are you looking for further children born to Robert Hogg and/or Janet Finlayson?

I could only find  one other Hogg born to a Robert Hogg in Stirlingshire around the same time and that's this one: (no other siblings listed)

HOGG, George
Recorded in:   Falkirk, Stirlingshire, Scotland
Father:   Robert HOGG
Mother:   Margaret WALKER
Source:   FHL Film 304668   Dates:   1783 - 1839

Anne

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 October 05 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that. I have actually looked at the original parish register, which says that Peter Hogg was born 'in adultery', and at the Kirk Session records which have literally pages and pages and pages of details about the case of Robert Hogg and Janet Finlayson's illegitimate child.

Robert Hogg was a married man, living in Dunipace at the time, and Janet Finlayson lived with her parents, though, infuriatingly, the Kirk Session records do not name either her father or her mother, referring to them merely as 'Janet Finlayson's father' and 'Janet Finlayson's mother'! So in spite of reams of detail, none of it helps to find out who Robert's and Janet's parents were.

I rather doubt that there are any other children of this couple to be found.

There is a family tradition that Robert Hogg was related to James Hogg, the 'Ettrick Shepherd', but in the absence of any evidence, other than the same story being prevalent in two branches of the family separate since the early 1800s, I have to treat this with some care.

Peter's son James, my gggrandfather, was in the same household as Janet Finlayson, aged 60, and George Finlayson, aged 50, in the 1841 census. I have not found any trace of either Janet or George after that date.

Best wishes and thanks

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 October 05 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Forfarian,

I bet you had a great time looking though the OPRs!!

I had a wee look to see if I could find any likely candidates (again in the BVRs) and could only find two Janet Finlaysons born in Stirlingshire.

FINLAYSON, Janet
Christening Date: 27 Oct 1778
Recorded in:   Falkirk, Stirlingshire, Scotland
Father:   James FINLAYSON
Mother:   Helen GARDINER
Source:   FHL Film 1041943   Dates:   1743 - 1819

FINLAYSON, Janet
Christening Date: 9 Jun 1770
Recorded in: Stirling, Stirlingshire, Scotland
Father:   Malcolm FINLAYSON
Mother:   Jean MORRISON
Source:   FHL Film 1041977   Dates:   1749 - 1819

Anne

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 October 05 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again, I've noted those as possibles. Much appreciated.