Author Topic: Family tree printout  (Read 5419 times)

Offline *Joolz*

• RootsChat Extra
  • My gt gt grandfather
    • View Profile
Family tree printout
« on: Sunday 30 October 05 01:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
My first post here... it looks like a great forum from what I have seen so far  :)

I was wondering if there are any simply programmes or something out there - some kind of template I could follow to make a simple printout of an A4 page for displaying some of my family tree, just to show the more recent ancestors?

I only started researching my family tree in June, and didn't know the names of any of my family much beyond grandparents, but have been really lucky and have already managed to get a good long way back.
I have been using a programme called Easy Tree to store all my info.

But for my family members that are only vaguely interested, I would like to do an A4 sheet, just showing ancestors back to around 1800 or so, listing names and dob - just the basics really.
Something that would look reasonably neat and easy to read - perhaps similar to this:-
http://www.telbin.dreamstation.com/hands/handstree.pdf

Is there such a thing in existance, or am I going to have to improve my skills of using MS Word because I'm asking for the impossible?
Baggott, Hands, Marjoram, Cattermole, Cook, Brown, Walker & Liggins<br />Suffolk & Staffordshire

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Family tree printout
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 October 05 03:05 GMT (UK) »
I've worn a beard since I left the R.A.F. some 40 years ago, but I love your g/g/granfathers - it's one to be proud of.
                                        Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 October 05 07:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Joolz, welcome to Rootshat. 
Getting all one's ancestors onto one sheet of A4 is next to impossible.  The best bet would be Legacy, a free download, which produces a range of basic trees.  But you'll soon go onto more than one sheet.  Legacy also automatically produces "ancestors of" reports which you can just run off every so often and hand out.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline *Joolz*

• RootsChat Extra
  • My gt gt grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 October 05 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks a lot suttontrust. ;D

Denn, it is an impressive beard isn't it. I really like beards myself!
Baggott, Hands, Marjoram, Cattermole, Cook, Brown, Walker & Liggins<br />Suffolk & Staffordshire

Offline omskirk

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 November 05 15:49 GMT (UK) »
I bought a sheet of blueprint paper from my local copyshop It's about 30" wide and I got a piece 8' long for £1 then I printed out each family and stuck them on side by side so I had a row for each generation, joining one generation to the one below with a simple ink line, when my sheet was full I took it back and had it copied, this got rid of all the joints and it looked like a single printout, a word of caution though, it is time consuming and you get through a few A4s but well worth it to have a single chart with everyone on, I now add new people in the appropriate place and keep getting it recopied, it has now grown to 10'

David.
Any Bowler/Boaler/Boler
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sue60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 November 05 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Why don't you take a look at www.tribalpages.com. You can set up your family tree free on the website, however if you pay a small sum (£13 approx), you can then print out family tree charts on your A4 sheet of paper.  Various types available too, from  fan, boxes and descendant charts.

Impressive beard,

Sue
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 January 21 18:25 GMT (UK) »
I did a very basic one for free on https://www.familyecho.com/

I think it was 5 generations back (did it for a few kids in the families history homework in primary school) and was able to put names and dates onto one A4 sheet of direct ancestors

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 January 21 04:29 GMT (UK) »
As suttontrust said, Legacy has several trees available.

It is possible to print five generations on a single A4 sheet, for an ancestry chart, which gives the generation number, the name, and the DOB & DOD for each person.

A very simple one, but it would be quite possible to start such a chart at any point in the tree.

A Chesters