Author Topic: does anyone know?  (Read 3994 times)

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: does anyone know?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 November 05 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chika

I have been to Nottingham archives today. I looked through the original parish register for you.

Baptism Thomas Bradley:

Aug 18 1861 Thomas son of John & Mary Bradley, Arnold, Labourer by G Atkinson

Marriage Lewis Gordon Bradley & Leila Sara Gray:

I got the original registers for St Giles, West Bridgford and looked from September 1915 to October 1923. There was no entry for them.
I had written Basford 7b 431 March 1916 on the query paper. Basford registration district did cover West Bridgford at the time. Have you sent for the certificate or do you have any more clues as to where they got married? Addresses?

Certificate that got burned:

Which certificate was this? Was it the marriage certificate I have not found yet?

Keep in touch and I will have another look next time I go.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chicka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 28 November 05 02:46 GMT (UK) »
Jane,
Thanks for your efforts. Its rather confusing that we have the folio number and quarter and still can't find evidence in the archives. I wonder why that would be?Unfortunately the marriage certificate was the one that got burnt inadvertantly. Also thanks for the baptism info about Thomas Bradley

Chicka ??? ???
bradley, gray,devening, bywaters

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 28 November 05 07:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chika

2 options: It was a registry office wedding or it was at a different church.

Do you know it was Cof E? Could it be baptist, Catholic etc.

There are other C of E churches but St Giles is the main one for West Bridgford proper (I used to ring the bells there).

I have just looked at the 1901 census and Leila lived on Stratford Road which is next to St Giles church.

What was their address in 1922 when your Dad was born?

Jane

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chicka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 29 November 05 06:14 GMT (UK) »
Jane,
The address they lived when Dad was born was 38 Millicent Rd, West Bridgford if that's any help to you.I'm not sure what religion Leila was but later in his life Lewis was a lay preacher for the Methodists apparently.
Chicka

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 29 November 05 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chika

Millicent Road is close to Trent Bridge cricket ground and is in West Bridgford proper rather than Lady Bay. If they were C of E they would be at St Giles. It makes me think they got married elsewhere. They are close to what is now a very active Baptist church but I don't know about Methodists ..........but I know people who will know. I will do a bit of digging for you.

Jane

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 29 November 05 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chika

I called in at the archives on the way home. They do not have the methodist marriage registers for WB 1916. Their advice is to send for the marriage certificate from the GRO as it should have the details of the church on it etc.

Jane

Offline chicka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 06:25 GMT (UK) »
Once again Jane thanks heaps for all the digging you have been doing on this topic. Its great that there are people like you and everyone else who have replied who are willing to give some of your time to help others.I'll send for the certificate and see exactly where they were married.

Chicka
 :D :D

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 06:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chika

When you get it let me know the result. I hope it doen't take too long. Please get back to me when you need more help.

Jane

Offline chicka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 01 December 05 06:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jane, Ill do that as soon as I find out and I'm sure to be in touch later on for some other assistance
Cheers
Chicka  ;D