Author Topic: Grandad was a Royal Fusilier  (Read 6384 times)

Offline molar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Grandad was a Royal Fusilier
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 October 05 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the help. I am hoping mum might have something with his service no.  on. My cousin got his medals when he died, would the service no. be on those?
Linda
Allison:Atkinson:Cooper:Forster:Greenway:Grieves:Hickman(also Staffs):Mason:Reed:Tennent:Waggott: Nothumberland/Durham.
Armitage:Balam:Bowden:Dean:Etchells: Farney: Stockport /Manchester
Pollitt: Failsworth.
McVeety: Melia: Ireland/Manchester.
Wathen: Bristol
Voigt: Germany/Bristol/Manchester.
Census information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 31 October 05 11:09 GMT (UK) »
yes linda,they will be stamped on the rim,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline molar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 19:32 BST (UK) »
I have confirmation now that my granddad was the Pte Tom Dean Spts 4091 R Fus. (my cousin checked the medals).
I would really love to find out more info about his service in WW1 but I don't know where to start!
regards
Linda
Allison:Atkinson:Cooper:Forster:Greenway:Grieves:Hickman(also Staffs):Mason:Reed:Tennent:Waggott: Nothumberland/Durham.

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 21:46 BST (UK) »
linda,the sportsmans battalions were the 23rd and 24th battalion royal fusiliers,i think your g/father was in the 24th battalion,they were raised by mrs cunliffe-owen,the men had to be physically fit,able to shoot and ride and also to walk well,these men came from every corner of the planet,their average height was 6 foot,one man came from the yukon with the boxer frank slavin,they had been gold prospecting,others were trappers from the canadian woods,railway engineers from argentina,big game hunters from central africa,others came from china,japan,malaya states,india,egypt,one had been seal hunting in alaska,all presented themselves at the hotel cecil in london in autumn 1914,after training,they were sent to france,landing on 17th nov 1915,go on the great war forum,the gang will be very happy to fill in the rest,good luck,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline molar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 30 March 06 07:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks
I think granddad must been put in the wrong place! He was only about 5ft 9ins and always very slight build!!
thanks very much for the info

Linda

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 30 March 06 12:18 BST (UK) »
linda your wrong about your g/fathers height,he was ten feet tall,like all those who fought in ww1,mack ;)

Offline molar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 31 March 06 07:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mack

A lovely comment :)
Linda

Offline molar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 30 August 06 17:28 BST (UK) »
I have found a photo of Granddad in WW1! He is the one standing,it seems strange he is so casual when the man next to him is so very tidy(granddad was usually so pristine in his dress). I have no idea who the man with him is. I presume the photo was taken in France because it is in the form of a postcard with French writing on the reverse. There is no message or address so it wasn't posted. I thought Granddad had destroyed all the photos etc. I found this while I was sorting through my mum's belongings, also with this photo was a letter from granddad's sister Alice on the occasion of my mum's 21st. She recalled how granddad had celebrated his 21st in wartime and had asked for a razor!She had sent him one "big enough to frighten the Germans! I think I can remember my granddad showing it to me when I was little.
Regards
LInda

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 31 August 06 09:06 BST (UK) »

excellent photo Linda, you must be really pleased to find it, well done