Author Topic: MacIsaacs of Canna, MacDonalds of Morar  (Read 14554 times)

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
  • gg-grandfather, founder of Comfort, Texas
    • View Profile
Ludovic MacDonald of Morar
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 October 10 23:17 BST (UK) »
Ludovic MacDonald was a younger son of Allan Roy MacDonald, 7th Laird of Morar.  Burke's Landed Gentry (2001) does not include the dates but it shows "ksp in America".  I believe dsp means died without issue.

What is the story with Ludovic?  I have Lewis McDonald of Bedford township, Westchester county of New York whose gravemarker says:  "Sacred to the memory of Col. Lewis McDonald Esq. and Sarah his wife being a native of North Britain borne at Strathspey 1709 and departed this life 24 July 1777".
Lewis McDonald is believed to have arrived in New York in 1730.  We also have the following:  “Bedford, Westchester County, New York Historical Records, 1689-1800. Land Records 3:52. on 12 Mar 1755. William & Sarah Woolsey, executor and executrix of the will of John Woolsey, late of Bedford, Westchester Co., NY, deceased, Sold to Lewis McDonald of Bedford for 400 pounds, in the 28th year of George II - A certain tract … of land … within … Bedford in quantity two hundred and thirty one acres, it being the farm where John Woolsey died possest of in the New Purchase…”  Lewis was a justice of the peace, colonel of the militia, and one of the wealthiest farmers in the county.  He left cash bequests of 4600 UK pounds as well as real estate and movable property.
Campbell, McDonald, Sprague, Dunsmore, Altgelt, Paterson, Gordon, Rennie, Gorrie, Myles, Forbes, Stewart, Robertson,  Scott, McEwan, MacCallum, McLagan, Perth, Dull, Lanark, Airdrie, Campbeltown, Saddell, Kessington, Cochno, Milngavie, Rutherglen, Kilsyth, Dundee, Killin, Ferryport-on-Craig, Kirkintilloch, Ohio, New York, Inverness-shire, Blair Atholl, Mathie

Offline Mary746

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MacIsaacs of Canna, MacDonalds of Morar
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken and also Angus
Thanks for your referreal to Allan MacDonald and Westworld.  I've been in touch with them and read Westorld on a regulal basis. It's been absolutely invaluable to me!   I only began this a couple of years ago and stumbled into this incredible amount of "stuff" on the MacDonalds, MacIsaacs and Clan Ranald etc.  It's been a bit overwhelming. I have at least 3 famillies of MacDonalds, all from Morar, Moidart and Lochaber.  Give me a quick geography lesson....are these counties? In particular 2 places called (forgive me) "Suinesletter" and "Drimindarich"  My ancester " Lodyvick (Loddy) MacDonald and his wife Mary Grant (Kinloid) was from Suinesletter and shipped out on "The Jane" in 1790 from  Drumindarich to Prince edward Island (St. John's Island)   Allan says "it is probably correct to assume that the Macdonalds on that ship from Rhetland and Suinsketter were brothers and sister and descendants of MacDonald of Morar the remnants of 'Rhetland' Captain Allan Macdonald of Rhetland, son of Angus, son of Allan Og, and brother of allan Roy VII of Morar. "  If this sounds slightly convoluted its because it is.  I don't fully understand the connection...again I plead my novice stature in thesematters.  Can anyone straighten me out?  Where is Rhetland????

Angus
I'm aware of the MacDougals and their relation to the MacDonalds of Morar.  There are also MacDougals and MacDonells in my family from Lochaber who family tradition says are related.  My gg aunt, Mary MacIsaac married Alexander "Alasdair Ruaidh" MacDougall, born in Lake ainsleNova Scotia.
Slainte
Toooooo many MacDonalds..........Looking forward to hearing from you all again!

Heatther
Anybody researching these families, especially ones who emigrated to Nova Scotia , c.1770-1790.
Heather

Offline Mary746

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather,
My MacDonald family (Loddy) are descendants of Lodyvick and Mary Grant.  We have the same family somewhere along the line.  If you are interested in any information that I have please let me know.  I live in Canada.
Mary

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 22:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary746,

have you tried researching the MacDonalds and Campbells of Harris, Inverness.  My nans cousin Agnes Hamilton married a Neill MacDonald circa 1923? whose parents were Roderick MacDonald and Catherine Campbell

There is Angus McSween on Ancestry and also Donald Campbell on GenesReunited with a lot of information.  There are also some MacDonalds and Campbells in Argyll, Campbelltown or Lochend etc.
marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline apone67878

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 May 11 20:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather.  Reading your posts on the MacIsaacs, I see that we're related, albeit distantly.  Mary MacIssac (who married Alexander "Alasdair Iana Ruaidh" of Lake Ainslee is my gggggreat uncle's(Roderick MacIsaac m. Janet MacDonald) child.  Whew!!
I've been researching the family for a few years and have been able to get as far back as my ggggggreat grandfather, Neil who came from the Isle of Canna.  There's a few holes in my genealogy but I've got enough information to feel reasonably comfortable with what I have.
In one of your posts, you seem confident of your geneaology.  Were you able to obtain an proofs?  And if so, what were they?  I'm not sure what constitutes proofs but from what I've read, it's important to site proofs if you publish your geneaology.
Also, you mentioned you had old photos from relatives in NS from the 1870's.  Would these be MacIsaacs?  And if so, would you be willing to share them with me?  I only have a couple of pictures of my grandmother and nothing else.  It would be wonderful to have more pictures!
Thanks for your help Heather and I hope to hear from you soon.

Offline csmacisaac

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 19 May 11 22:21 BST (UK) »
 This is my first post and it is sort of connected.....I hail from the great scottish province of southern California...and some time ago I cam accross the a post entitled "The descendants of Donald MacIsaac" from the island of Canna...I paste the URL here: http://home.comcast.net/~macisaacclan/TreeDesc.htm

and I wonder if someone could help me learn who Donald's   parents and grandparents were? I am of the 8th generation of this relatively clean  line and my grandson is the 10th....

best,

Chris MacIsaac

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 07 April 12 21:51 BST (UK) »
have a look on the ralston post with a link or contact isle of harris geanealogists societywhose name is angus mcsween but i do not have a link for it maybe somone else van help with this
marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline Carina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 08 January 20 06:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather,

Ive just read your message.  very keen for contact.  I think i belong to the same clan.

Mary Mcdonald 1781-1851 Arisaig/Ardnamurchan.  having children with Martin Mcintyre.
1810-1828 Nth Morar.
Cant track Martin. and my information is from the 1841 and 1851 census.
However our dna seems to point to Eigg. sth uist. and the Ardnamurchan areas.
If this chat line closes before you read this.  please look for me in facebook or messanger.
margaret pavljuk and send a private message. That goes for anyone who thinks they connect to me, or this couple.

Thank you.
Margaret
FREER Weldon area Northamptonshire England
CHENEY Huntingdon shire/Huntingdon shire,
HALL  Huntingdon shire.
YARD  Somerset/ Devon
BROWN Lincolnshire
Williamson Kettering Northamptonshire
Shedden Ayreshire
Wylie Ayreshire
Mcintyre Inverness
Goodwin Birmingham?