Author Topic: Can't find a death record for Agnes Easdon nee Mccouat  (Read 2194 times)

Offline Ninatoo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Can't find a death record for Agnes Easdon nee Mccouat
« on: Tuesday 01 November 05 02:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I am having difficulty finding a death entry for an ancestor called Agnes McCouat/Mc Cowat/ McQuoit - too many variations are probably NOT helping!

According to my information, she was probably born around 1781 in New Kilpatrick, Dumbarton as her christening record for April 1 of that year is on the IGI.

In 1800 she married Robert Easdon in Erskine Renfrew and together they had five children that I know of; David, John, Robert, Agnes and William, all born in Erskine.  William, the youngest was born in 1811.

I believe by 1820 Robert had married again to an Elizabeth Muir (and I can't find a record of this anywhere either) so I am speculating that Agnes McCouat must have died between 1811 and 1820.

Can anyone please help me find some sort of indication that she did indeed die, as it will help me clear up this family branch a great deal!

Thanks for reading,

Nina
CARSON - Glasgow, Ayr and Ireland
CLARK - Dunbarton
CORR - Glasgow and Ireland
COTTERILL - Glasgow and England
CROMBIE - Glasgow, Ayr and Ireland
DOCHERTY - Glasgow
EASTON - Dunbarton, Renfrew and Glasgow
GLANCY - Glasgow and Ireland
GORDON - Glasgow and Ireland
GRANELLI - Glasgow and Italy
LOGAN - Glasgow and Ireland
MAIN - Fearn, Ross & Cromarty and Glasgow
MCCORMICK - Glasgow and England
MCNICOL - Glasgow and Ireland
O'BRIEN - Glasgow and  Ireland
WATSON - Glasgow

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Gretta Coyle 1924 - 2004
    • View Profile
Re: Can't find a death record for Agnes Easdon nee Mccouat
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 November 05 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nina,

Your best bet is going to be searching the Parish Registers of the Parish Church of Erskine.  Seeing that the youngest was born there in 1811, and all the siblings were born there as well, it is a chance that Robert also remarried in Erskine.
You can do these searches on scotlandspeople, but with the difficult name and so many spelling variants, it may be easier to order in the OPR film at the library.

From the Family History Library Catalogue, I see that the burials for Erskine are only available during the years of 1852 - 1854.  No joy there for you, but you might find some extra information included in the births or in the marriages section.

Here is the complete details of what's on the film -

Microfilm of O.P.R. ms. no. 563 in the New Register House, Edinburgh.
Contents: v. 1. Baptisms 1705-1820; marriages, 1705-1820 -- v. 2. Baptisms, 1820-1854; marriages, 1820-1854; burials, 1852-1854.

And here is the call number for ordering the film in at your local LDS library - FHL BRITISH Film 1041058

Stewart, Moore, Murray, McLure, Beaton, McIntyre, Sinclair, Barr, Burnside, Welsh, Barker, McGibbon, Harrison, Gallacher/Gallagher, Hedley

Offline Ninatoo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Can't find a death record for Agnes Easdon nee Mccouat
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 November 05 04:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks you for that Debbie; you are most helpful

I will have to visit the local LDS library and see what they have.  This just may end up being a premanent brick wall!

Nina
CARSON - Glasgow, Ayr and Ireland
CLARK - Dunbarton
CORR - Glasgow and Ireland
COTTERILL - Glasgow and England
CROMBIE - Glasgow, Ayr and Ireland
DOCHERTY - Glasgow
EASTON - Dunbarton, Renfrew and Glasgow
GLANCY - Glasgow and Ireland
GORDON - Glasgow and Ireland
GRANELLI - Glasgow and Italy
LOGAN - Glasgow and Ireland