Author Topic: GANLEY family  (Read 32906 times)

Offline Cookie Nanna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
GANLEY family
« on: Sunday 04 January 04 11:10 GMT (UK) »
 :)Hi

Would welcome contact from anyone with an interest in the GANLEY surname.  

My connection starts with Bartholomew Ganley born about 1827 in Sligo.  The Durham 1861C shows him married to Mary nee Flaherty and  settled in Sunderland.

I have gathered quite a lot of information from upwards of 1855 in respect of their children and I am willing to share.

Regards

Sue

Offline 7thof9

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re:GANLEY
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 March 04 04:05 GMT (UK) »
Sue,
     I'm searching for the parents of James Ganley, born 11/19/1844 in Ireland  per US cencus records.  I have recently found several RC baptismal records listing Sligo as place of origin/?birth.  He had a brother , Philip Andrew Ganley, born ca.1845 in Maine US.  Possible siblings include John, Thomas and Catherine.  I can't rule out the Ganly spelling in Ireland. Do you see any possible connections?

Joe

Offline Cookie Nanna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 March 04 18:14 GMT (UK) »
???

Hi Joe

Thanks for posting a response.  Unfortunately, I am unable to connect to your information.  I have been unable to obtain any further information on Bartholomew Ganley born c1827 Sligo, Ireland.

To be quite truthful, I am unsure on how to search for the birth information in Ireland, so any helpful hints or ideas would be appreciated.

There were a few Ganleys in Sunderland, Engalnd in the 1850's and I have a fair bit of baptism & marriage information on the children born Sunderland but nothing at all from Ireland.

If anything does turn up to suggest we may connect I will certainly post another reply.

Good luck with your search.

Sue

Offline nigelganley

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 May 04 13:45 BST (UK) »
My name is Nigel Ganley and im from Co. Galway Ireland; I’m currently researching the history of the Ganley name and ancestors. In relation to the comment above, it caught my attention, as my grandfather’s name is James Ganley, originally from glenamaddy born in 1916 perhaps there is some connection there?

If anybody has any more information in relation to the ganley name please contact me...

Regards,

Nigel Ganley.

Offline Cookie Nanna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 May 04 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Nigel

Sorry I have no James Ganley b 1916 in Ireland.  My research starts from Bartholomew Ganley born c1826 and in the Durham 1851 Census he gave his place of birth as Roscommon, Ireland.  However, in the Durham 1861 Census it was given as Sligo, Ireland.  

He did not show up on the Durham 1841 Census so can only presume he came over to England between 1841 & 1851.  Regretfully, I have been unable to get any further back than the 1851 Census, so have no idea of his parents or brothers.

I have found other Ganley individuals from the Catholic Parish Records in Sunderland but have not been able to link any of the individuals to Bartholomew.

If you are interested, I have plenty of information on the descendants of Bartholomew, although some parts are sketchy.  Let me know what it is you are interested in and I will pass it on.

Regards

Sue  

Offline Jim Ganley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: GANLEY
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 November 04 01:53 GMT (UK) »
Hiya, gang!
   Bartholomew Ganly (Original spelling) is my great grandfather. He was known as Bartley for short, and was born in Sligo circa 1830, married Ellen Scanlon, and had three, possibly four, children: Bartho, Thomas, Michael, and James ( my grandfather, born circa 1867 in Sligo).
   If any of you out there have more info....please send it my way. We're all probably related, to one extent or another.

Very Truly Yours,
James Benson Ganley

Offline johnshaw

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 June 05 12:45 BST (UK) »
whilst researching ancestors in Sligo I came across the name of Matt Ganley, legendary faction fighter and guard to mail coaches from Boyle to Sligo Town, this is all around 1840/50s.

Boyle is the town in which Ganley is mentioned.

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 June 05 03:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am searching for "Gandley's".  My gr-gr-gr grandfather was Matthew Gandley who was born in Ireland and went to Birmingham eventually.  I have him in Birmingham in the 1861 census.  His children seem to be in the gun industry.  His wife was Mary Morris.

Over the years I have seen the name spelt Gandley, Ganly, Ganley.  Many variations.

Karen

Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline ben008

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 July 05 15:40 BST (UK) »
Hey.

Ganly seems to be a derivative - i am from Australia (living in london) and have managed to trace the ganley name to Athlone.

I will try and dig out some more information from home as my family has produce a Ganley book some years ago.

Message me if you want to know more.

ben