Author Topic: Jessie Minnie Barber/Cowdray & Florence Cowdray  (Read 1274 times)

Offline venusian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Jessie Minnie Barber/Cowdray & Florence Cowdray
« on: Wednesday 02 November 05 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Jessie Cowdray married Kirtland Barber Hackney 1898.There were 11 Cowdray children that scattered far and wide after there mother left to start a new life.My Gran Annie Cowdray remained here in Singleton Sussex bringing up the youngest children.Florence Cowdray(Flora Kate) was one of them and in the 1901 census she was with Jessie and family in Newington.It is possible other Cowdrays ended up in London also,so here is the list of all children.
ALICE(b 1872 Cocking),ALBERT(b 1874  Easebourne,Midhurst), BESSIE(b 1876 Easebourne), JESSIE MINNIE (b 1879 Singleton) ANNIE (b 1880 Singleton), ARTHUR (b 1881 Singleton)FLORA KATE/FLORENCE (b 1884 Singleton), WALTER (b 1886 Singleton), ADA BLANCHE (b 1888 Singleton), BERTHA MAY (b 1889 Singleton), HETTIE NELLIE (b 1891 Singleton).
  I am in contact with Walters family and Hettie's and we are swapping stories and photos and would love to hear from relatives of the other Cowdray children.The mother Henrietta  took Hettie with her and Hettie never knew her real father or of his existance as she had been given the surname Norrell.None of us knew that Henrietta had left her husband James until we started piecing this family back together. Annie never said a word but I believe she remained here in the hope one day the family would be reunited.Walter told his family that his Mother died when he was a baby. So, its quite sad :'( .Obviously, Hettie never knew her older brother and sisters and I think hers is probally one of the sadest stories.
  So if you are decended from this family please get in touch.I have a photo of Annie,Ada and Bertha as they did keep in contact and I think Nan had contact with Florence.

Diane
Cowdray, Pilcher, Whittington, Snow, Champkin, Ruffett, Verion, Ailles, Conduct.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pomme24

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie Minnie Barber/Cowdray & Florence Cowdray
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 September 17 18:54 BST (UK) »
Dear Diane, It has been some time since you last posted so I hope you may still check this. I am the great granddaughter of Jessie Minnie via her daughter Edith. Sadly Nan died in 2003 and was the last one of Jessie's children to pass away.
I would love to see any family photos if you have them. Jessie died when Nan was 7 so she never remembered her mother or knew much abt her family. Best wishes, Helen