Author Topic: Anne Bowden b.1830 in Drogheda  (Read 5643 times)

Offline sgrollitt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Anne Bowden b.1830 in Drogheda
« on: Wednesday 02 November 05 11:44 GMT (UK) »
My great-great-grandmother Anne Bowden was born in Drogheda in 1830. I can find no record of her birth however, and was wondering whether some kind person could look it up?

Thank you,
Simon

Offline sgrollitt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Anne Bowden b.1830 in Drogheda
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 November 05 17:04 GMT (UK) »
I got Anne's marriage certificate last week on which it states that her father was James Bowden, farmer. Looking on various Irish genealogical web sites I have found that in the list of Drogheda flax growers in 1796 was James Boadin of Drumshallon, Louth. Also, in the list of Drogheda Freeholders in 1817 was James Bouden at Kiltallaght in the Barony of Ferrard, and his landlord was Sir Edward Bellew (Lord Bellew) of Barmeath, Dunleer.

I would love to think that I have found Anne's father, my great-great-great-grandfather James Bowden. Am I being presumptuous?

Offline sgrollitt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 January 06 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Why is genealogy so difficult in Ireland?

Why is genealogy so expensive in Ireland?

Why am I talking to myself, because no-one is listening?

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 October 06 23:19 BST (UK) »
Hiya sgrollitt,

It does look as though you are talking to yourself:D You've sent two replies to yourself :D I'm not so sure genealogy is so difficult in Ireland. On a site like RootsChat you should get a lot of helpful information. If you have ancestors in the north of Ireland librarians are very helpful and make no charge. If you find the church that your ancestors attended then the clergy may let you look at records for a small fee. I feel a lot of information gleaned in the search for Irish ancestors depends upon the contacts you are able to make but agree that it can be expensive using professional researchers. The further back in time then the more difficult but that is the same anywhere.

Chris