Author Topic: Mystery McDakins!  (Read 2677 times)

Offline oursong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Mystery McDakins!
« on: Wednesday 02 November 05 11:57 GMT (UK) »
I would be grateful for help regarding this family.
My brickwall is Samuel Gordon McDakin/MacDakin b. abt 1773 in Peebles died 1862 Lincoln. I need to find his baptism to continue finding his family. My knowledge of Scottish resources is poor, I have searched Scotlands People with no success, but did find his son another Samuel Gordon McDakin on the 1851 census.

Thank you for reading this.
Regards Oursong
STEADMAN - Soham, Cambs
CARTER - Canterbury, Kent
MCDAKIN, ABE & PROBART.
GOWENLOCK
CORDELL - Essex
PERRETT - Devon
QUESTED - Kent
HULBERT - Wales & London
CLENCH - Poole, Dorset

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery McDakins!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 January 06 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Oursong

I'm intrigued by the surname given it's not one I've come across before.  As you have found, there are no entries at all on Scotlands People for this name. The original spelling must have got completely lost in the translation when Samuel Snr went to England! Even when I tried a very open wildcard search - Samuel Gordon M*cd* - any time/place - nothing showed.

There are however a few entries on www.familysearch.org, which include an Ancestral File on the family (you are probably aware of this), 1881 census data for a Samuel Gordon McD (is this the grandson?) and wife and the birth of this Samuel Gordon McD and his sister in Lincoln. It would appear their mother was called Harriet.

My only advice is in order to go back in Scotland, you need to get back to the origins of the surname.

Good luck!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline oursong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 January 06 15:48 GMT (UK) »

Hello Monica,
   Thank you for  looking into my McDakins. I think your suggestion that the name underwent a radical change is correct. The McDakins on family search & 1851 census are the same family. Ideas on getting back to the origin of the surname would be welcome.

Best Wishes
   Oursong
STEADMAN - Soham, Cambs
CARTER - Canterbury, Kent
MCDAKIN, ABE & PROBART.
GOWENLOCK
CORDELL - Essex
PERRETT - Devon
QUESTED - Kent
HULBERT - Wales & London
CLENCH - Poole, Dorset

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 January 06 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Oursong

Why don't you ask that question on the General Scotland Board which will be viewed by a wider audience. Hopefully someone will be able to help with knowledge of old Scottish names or at least point you in the right direction.

Regards.
Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 January 06 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Oursong

Just some more food for thought! I had a look at http://www.electricscotland.com/webclans/septs.htm for inspiration on variants. The closest I came to on variants of McDakin was based around the names McDickan/Dicken from Clan Keith. No joy on IGI for a Samuel Gordon but there were a number of other entries for these names.

Regards.
Monica