Author Topic: St. Patricks Church Castletown-Kilpatrick.  (Read 25574 times)

Offline john56477

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St. Patricks Church Castletown-Kilpatrick.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 22:51 BST (UK) »

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 November 10 20:26 GMT (UK) »

Hello......

Nothing but appologies today from me... I have been unwell and have not been on site since August and I now trying to catch up with evryone that has posted for me .

The photos are wonderful Anthony I have not come across but there is a much later Liscoe/ Sillery marriage. Even now I still cannot get them to link from Ireland to America or England. The new parish records for London shows the name in London as far back as 1724 as Liscoe and a  possible 1674 as Lisco. I need to have a focus right now so will really have to look into this.

Many thanks for the time you have taken for me sorry to have not replied much sooner.
 Best wishes       Tazzie
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline paddyspig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 12 August 11 16:46 BST (UK) »
Gerry
Dear Gerry,
I am new to this site so I don't know how to get in touch with you.  I am researching the Keegan/Donigan names and found their marriage in Castletown/Kilpatrick in 1832. Then I found the births of several of their children there as well. Ann Keegan, born Feb 22, 1850 was my great grandmother.  I noticed you have the Markey name and I found Mary Markey as the sponsor at the baptism of Matthew Keegan and Michael Keegan.  I would so love to find more on all but don't know how to do so.  I believe they were Catholic and don't know how to find the Catholic church records from then.  I believe Ann's father, Patrick Keegan, died there as he didn't come to America in 1867 when Ann, Matthew,  young Catherine and their mother, Catherine immigrated.
Can you point me in the right direction?  Thanks.  paddyspig

Offline GerryS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 August 11 07:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Paddyspig,
Thanks very much for your message. Yes the Markey's from Castletown-Kilpatrick are my direct descendants. You mention a Mary Markey being a witness at the baptism of Matthew and Michael. Now it would nice to think that there is a relation there rather than a neighbour.
I presume from the information you have given that Matthew and Michael Keegan were born sometime between 1832 and 1850. Well the oldest information I have found so far about the Markey's (with certainty, as there are many Markey's with similar names in the parish) is my great grandfather Thomas "the Wildie" Markey who was married in 1885 and whose father was another Thomas Markey. So I'm not sure where Mary fits in. I'm not aware of any Keegan's in the family, but it sounds like the dates are earlier than I have good information on.
You do not mention how you found the marriages and births in Castletown-Kilpatrick. Presumably from the pay to view website rootsireland.ie? Copies of the parish registers exist in the archives in Dublin including for Castletown-Kilpatrick. Unfortunately I have not managed to visit yet as I'm in England.
Hope this has been helpful, if you do 3 postings in total I can send you a PM with my e-mail address so you can contact me directly.
Thanks
Gerry
Smyth, Markey, Farrell & McNamee Meath
Newton, Beck, Tebbs & Watts Leicestershire
Hindley & Valentine Lancashire
GÜVENÇ, ÜNDEŞ, AKGÜL & TAŞ Istanbul Turkey

Offline paddyspig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 13 August 11 17:00 BST (UK) »
Dear Gerry,
Thank you for the quick reply!  I did find the marriage and births(baptisms) on rootsireland.  It sure gets expensive awfully quick!  And sometimes you drop 8-12 lbs? and find it's not the right ones.  Sort of depressing.
Being "across the pond" I am sort of at a handicap at researching. On a whim the other day I got out my Irish family on my dad's side just to see what I had. His father was the son of Annie Keegan Caton (wife of John Caton). I had done some research in New Jersey at the archives there and found censuses that said she and mother, Catherine Donigan Keegan, and brother, Matthew (born July 28, 1833) came to US in 1867.  I think I found them arriving on July 30, 1867 at Castle Garden in NY from Liverpool. Also a sister, Catherine, aged 6, is listed but I don't find her in any censuses in NJ.
I also have proof that Catherine's maiden name was Donigan and her husband was Patrick Keegan so I went to Rootsireland and put in Keegan and Donigan and found Catherine's marriage to Patrick Keegan.  I am assuming that the baptisms/births all belong to them as the father is always Patrick Keegan and the mother is always Catherine and the timeframes all fit and they are always in Castletown/Kilpatrick.  I have Matthew's death in NJ (in a mental institution) and his age in all censuses and on the death are consistant with the baptism record.

I don't know where I'm going with this other than I guess I'd like to know the name of the church? and if it was Catholic or Church of Ireland?  Is that the same or is the latter Anglican?  I also think that the father, Patrick, probably died there as he didn't come to U.S. Would like to find his death and the location if possible.  More later!
Also have the name Andrew Meighan with Mary Markey as sponsor for Matthew and Christopher Dowd as sponsor with Mary Markey for Michael.
Forgive the username I chose!  The other ones I tried were already taken!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 13 August 11 18:00 BST (UK) »
I don't know where I'm going with this other than I guess I'd like to know the name of the church? and if it was Catholic or Church of Ireland?  Is that the same or is the latter Anglican? 

The transcripts on RootsIreland mention the name and denomination of the parish. The parish they have listed as "Castletown-Kilpatrick" is Catholic.

Church of Ireland is a protestant denomination - equivalent to Anglican/Church of England.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline paddyspig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 13 August 11 19:07 BST (UK) »
Dear Shane,
Thank you so much for this!
Paddyspig

Offline GerryS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 14 August 11 09:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Paddyspig and rootschatters,
To follow on from what Shane has noted -
The church in Castletown-Kilpatrick pictured earlier in this posting was Church of Ireland, which served the small community of Protestants in the parish. However the graveyard was mixed and served both Church of Ireland and Catholics. I believe that this was because there was no Catholic parish cemetery at that time. However it is my understanding also that there are other small Catholic cemeteries in other parts of the parish (e.g Knock) or adjacent parishes graveyards were used. So it is a bit hit and miss finding where ancestors are buried. It can be useful to know where in the parish they came from to find the nearest cemetery. None of the graveyards locally have been transcribed (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). And if they were poorer it is unlikely that they will have headstones.
It is interesting about the different names of witnesses - I assume they are neighbours rather than relatives? In some of my baptisms in Castletown-Kilpatrick they also seem to be neighbours rather than relatives. I wonder is this normal practice in rural Meath in the 19th century, does anyone know?
Hope this is useful
Gerry
PS I will PM you my e-mail address
Smyth, Markey, Farrell & McNamee Meath
Newton, Beck, Tebbs & Watts Leicestershire
Hindley & Valentine Lancashire
GÜVENÇ, ÜNDEŞ, AKGÜL & TAŞ Istanbul Turkey

Offline paddyspig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 14 August 11 19:45 BST (UK) »
Dear Gerry,
Again, thank you for this info.  I am so ignorant of Ireland and only went to the county of Meath  to look as my grandfather used to say, "Meath, mud" and then we kids would run. We now feel that perhaps that was where his mother, Annie Keegan Caton, came from as that is the only county we ever heard him speak of. I have no clue where they lived in Meath and I can only assume they were poor. I also assume they were Catholic because the whole family before me was.
These baptisms and her parents marriage, Rootsireland only gives the Parish/District and not the church or denomination so I can't assume they happened at St Patrick's, can I?
Paddyspig