Author Topic: Stepney Address.  (Read 8912 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Stepney Address.
« on: Friday 04 November 05 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

After a long search, I have now obtained a death certificate for my late uncle, Ernest Rencella WILSON (1897-1957).

On his death certificate it gives his place of death as being:

2a Southern Grove
Stepney
London E3.

I had always thought that he had died in The London Hospital(Mile End). Does anyone on here know whether 2a Southern Grove was a residential address in 1957, or part of The London Hospital?

Hoping that someone will be able to help.

Cheers, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Biker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stepney Address.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 November 05 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Southern Grove still exists - have a look on this map http://www.multimap.com/

As far as I know it was and still is residential - mostly two-up, two-down late Victorian housing.  Some of them are still there, but parts of Southern Grove have modern housing.  As you can see it's not that far from the Mile End Hospital.  I'm not sure of the numbering system on the road I'm afraid.

Could it be that he died at home and was taken to/was declared dead at the hospital?

Hope that helps.

Regards
Biker
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Reyz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 November 05 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I recently had a address query for  Stepney, requested an Electoral Register search from the local local history office :

http://www.towerhamlets.gov.uk/data/community/data/libraries/data/history-archive.cfm

They might be able to help.
Rz

Essex  :  Lodge Wheal
London UK : Bird Bogg (Lightermen) Brittle, Chamberlane. Perry Spencer.
Forest of Dean Gloucestershire  :  Smith.
Herefordshire : Hope  Price  Protheroe
Somerset  :  Hughes  Lippiatt
South Wales UK :  Blaenavon and Brynmawr -  Hughes Smith
Merthyr Tydfil : Hope  Lloyd  Long Protheroe 
Census information is Crown Copyright from  www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 November 05 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rz,

Thanks for the info...I will get onto them.

Cheers, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 November 05 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Biker,

Thanks for the map & info.

The reason that I am puzzled by the address on my uncle's death certificate, is because I had always understood that he was homeless & sleeping rough for the last few years of his life...:-(  The story as told to me was that he collapsed at Aldgate East Tube Station & was taken to The London Hospital, where he died. Under Occupation, it says "Formerly a Seaman & Ship's Night Watchman". For that reason, I had wondered if 2a Southern Grove E3 was possibly a Lodging for Merchant Seamen?

Under "signature, description and address of informant" on the Death Cert, is says, (a bit blurrily) r or f(r)? Sando, Causing the body to be buried. 2a Southern Grove E3.

I've tried Manor Park Cemetery, but they have no record of an Ernest Rencella Wilson buried there...

Thanks for the help anyway.

Cheers, Romilly.
Researching:

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 November 05 14:23 GMT (UK) »
There was a South Grove Infirmary, later became a hospital and was then closed.  I found one reference to South Grove (now Southern Grove).
Looking at where South Grove was on the Charles Booth Maps, and comparing to Multimap, we can see that:

1) In the 1880s, South Grove road ran from Mill End Road down past Tower Hamlets Cemetery: here.   You can see just to the West running parallel there is a Maplin Street and to the East on the other side of the workhouse there is Lincoln St.

Now compare with Multimap and a modern day map of the area: here.  There is Southern Grove which runs down from Mill End to the Tower Hamlet's Cemetery.  Maplin Street seems to have been truncated but is still there; Lincoln street is now Brokesley.  Quite a few of the streets have been rearranged or renamed at some point (probably just post WWII).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 November 05 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jorose,

Thanks for the map & info.

I've just spoken to the Archivist at Tower Hamlets, who told me that 2a Southern Grove (Lodge) was an Institution run by the L.C.C. (Records now held by The London Metropolitan Archives). They are closed for stocktaking until the 14th November:-(

However, a lady who I spoke to there just now, told me that Southern Grove Lodge was the former Whitechapel Workhouse. (That would fit in with my uncle being homeless:-(

I just found a harrowing webpage at: (not sure if this link will work)

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhouse/MAB-Casuals/MAB-Casuals.shtml

I think it works:-)

If you click on Homepage it takes you to a link about Workhouses, & Whitechapel Workhouse is on there:

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhouse/index.html

Thanks for the help, Romilly.
Researching:

Offline dsandsue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Romilly
My greatgrandfather Isaac Levy lived Southern Grove House before he died in 1943.  Apparently it was an old people's home run by the LCC.  I wonder, did you ever find any more information about which could tell us more about these ancestors?

With kindest regards
dsandsue

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Romilly
My greatgrandfather Isaac Levy lived Southern Grove House before he died in 1943.  Apparently it was an old people's home run by the LCC.  I wonder, did you ever find any more information about which could tell us more about these ancestors?
With kindest regards
dsandsue

Hi,
My understanding is that it was a Hostel for Single Homeless men, run by the L.C.C. The records are now held by The Metropolitan Archives.

Romilly.
Researching: