Author Topic: Advice please -Did Benjamin Grocott die young? Dawley Magna/Wellington  (Read 3340 times)

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
Advice please -Did Benjamin Grocott die young? Dawley Magna/Wellington
« on: Saturday 05 November 05 17:41 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for Benjamin Grocott born between 1810 and 1825 Lady Bank, Shrops. Information taken from a variety of census most of which give a different spelling of the name Grocott, a different dob and various transcriptions of the place of birth - Paley Bank 1851, Lady Bank 1861,Sany Bank 1871 and Madeley 1881 but I am pretty sure it actually says Lady Bank on the first three.  Not that I can find a Lady Bank in Shropshire!

I have found two possible candidates - the most likely is the son of Thomas Grocott and Dorothy bp 1815 Dawley Magna

The other possible candidate is the son of John and Hannah Grocott.

The children of Benjamin Grocott were Thomas 1845, Benjamin 1849, Isaiah 1850, Isaac and Elizabeth, - hence my plumping for Thomas and Dorothy as the likely parents.

I have found a Thomas Growcott who married Dorothy Jones 3 Sep 1792 Wellington (IGI)

I have also found  the following children  of Thomas Growcott and Dorothy in Shropshire

Mary bp 7 Oct 1792 Wellington
Ann bp 17 Jul 1796 Wellington
Benjamin bp 20 Sep 1797 Wellington
Ann bp 30 Dec 1798 Wellington
Benjamin bp 1815 Dawley Magna

Dawley Magna and Wellington are not far apart - both are now part of Telford.

Is it likely that this is one family?
Is there any way I can check if Benjamin bp 1797 died and was eventually 'replaced' by Benjamin bp 1815? 
How common was the name Dorothy at this time - how likely is it that there were two couples named Benjamin and Dorothy in the area at the time?

Sorry if I have gone on a bit but I have been advised to give as much information as possible.
Any advice or help very gratefully received.  I am finding this really frustrating!
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)