Author Topic: Nice Names !  (Read 11863 times)

Offline BarryBear

• RootsChat Member
  • "You got some disgusting 'abits you really 'ave!"
    • View Profile
Re: Nice Names !
« Reply #27 on: Friday 17 September 04 01:13 BST (UK) »
Was trawling through the LDS earlier and for a minute thought I was related to a Jane Austen, the daughter of a bookseller. But I am related to a Wellington Brewer but that's about the most exciting name so far. Found someone who lived in a place called Tidly Wink, ooh how a giggled ;D
Lawson in Durham and Croydon,
Corbett in Surrey,
Watts in Surrey and Croydon,
King in Herts,
Knight in South East London,
Papworth in East London,
Brewer in Essex,
Eley/Ely in Essex,
NewburyNewberry in Herts
Fillery in Surrey
Waugh in Durham

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 17 September 04 01:40 BST (UK) »
Mrs. Lizzy - 3 guesses at a tart's name
1. Bakewell
2. Tipsy
3. Custard

Am I close? Otherwise I plump for Lavinia. I was in a Bernard Shaw play at school "Androcles and the Lion". My only line was "And Lavinia shall be the tart". As it was a boys grammar school this brought the house down.

My late sister-in-law was called Lola - that is really a tart's name and she secretly hated it but never found anything better as she disliked her second name even worse. I don't know why as it was Kathleen. My grandmother, the one who married 4 blokes, was Ada Mary. When she decided she was fed-up with Ada she decided to be called Katherine. When she got fed-up with telling people how to spell Katherine she decided she would be called Kathleen. That shows that one man's fish is another man's poisson as the French say - but now I am rambling and that last tot has made me sleepy at last.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 18 September 04 22:15 BST (UK) »

I notice Mrs Lizzy is keeping very quiet and not giving out any clues...come on ! it can't be that bad, can it ?

All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 18 September 04 22:23 BST (UK) »
Thought I would post regarding my husband's Great Grandmothers name.

Born Lucy Cowlin, she married a Farr
yes youv'e guessed it Lucy Farr (Lucifer)
We all have had a chuckle over that one, much to the distaste of my father-in-law (it was his Grandmother)

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 18 September 04 23:51 BST (UK) »
I suppose  Wellington Brewer made bootleg liquor [groans all round]. :D
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BarryBear

• RootsChat Member
  • "You got some disgusting 'abits you really 'ave!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 19 September 04 00:43 BST (UK) »
Genius, just genius!
Lawson in Durham and Croydon,
Corbett in Surrey,
Watts in Surrey and Croydon,
King in Herts,
Knight in South East London,
Papworth in East London,
Brewer in Essex,
Eley/Ely in Essex,
NewburyNewberry in Herts
Fillery in Surrey
Waugh in Durham

Offline Troy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 19 September 04 22:05 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone
My name's Janus - you can imagine the rhyming slang that name has conjured up over the years!!
Everyone knows me as J, Jan or Jani and when they find out the "secret",  the meaning gives them more cause for concern.
I hated it as a youngster but now I'm a   ::)teenager it's not so bad at all.   At least I've never met another haha.
I am researching Bailey, Newlyn, Welch, Pickering,Clarke, Broad, Burch, Parkes, Power, Nickels, Coulter, Delieu, Walker, Huxstep, Padgen, Inglis, McCartney, Crawford.
The areas are: Woolwich, Plumstead, Bexley, Portsmouth, Eltham, Paddington, St. Pancras, Middleton Norfolk and any connection with Bailey and Royal Artillery

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 19 September 04 22:14 BST (UK) »

Hi Janus :D

just curious - were you named after the Roman God of beginnings and endings - or is there another reason?

The fact that it is an unusual name makes you very special.

Darcy
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Troy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 05 November 04 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Darcy,
Sorry haven't responded much sooner, holiday and family stuff, but how very kind of you to say I'm special and yes you're right the Roman God of beginnings and endings, (new world - old world); some less kind people say two-faced but its OK I can take it. Now that I'm older I do actually like having a name that's unusual.  I passed it on to my daughter as her middle name (she doesn't appreciate it just yet I think).
How it occurred was:  Dad shielded by family abroad during WW2, they had new born son named him Janus (cos its a man's name me thinks) but Dad loved the meaning of the name, I was on the way and the rest as they say is........
Regards
Jan P
I am researching Bailey, Newlyn, Welch, Pickering,Clarke, Broad, Burch, Parkes, Power, Nickels, Coulter, Delieu, Walker, Huxstep, Padgen, Inglis, McCartney, Crawford.
The areas are: Woolwich, Plumstead, Bexley, Portsmouth, Eltham, Paddington, St. Pancras, Middleton Norfolk and any connection with Bailey and Royal Artillery