Author Topic: llangyfelach church records  (Read 44503 times)

Offline marinerclark

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: llangyfelach church records
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 11 December 14 05:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello John   Yes I have been following the story of Mynndd Bach Chapel.  My Margaret Davies born 1791 at Llangyfelach married John Davies in 1811.  She was the daughter of Evan Grey born1761-1843.  John and  Margaret also had a daughter Margaret born in the 1820's, found on the 1841 census living at Penygors.  House near the parish church.  Cannot find baptisms for any of their children.   Margaret's brother Morgan Grey left a will in 1843 leaving detailed possessions to his nephews.    Hope this helps.   LizR
CLARK Waite Ashley Gravett  Vousden Lilbourn
Daniels Marten Craft Beale Rye Sussex,
Morgan, Pranch, Rees, Thomas Llantrisant, St Fagans, St Lythans Glamorgan
Howell Glamorgan, Pembroke
Davies Glamorgan Merthyr and Llangafelach
Perkin, Beynon  Pembroke
Grey David Thomas Williams Llangyfelach Parish Glamorgan

Offline silvasands

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Monday 20 March 17 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Have grandparents buried in Llangyfelach Church. Lilian Rees and Ernest James Rees (born 1900). Lilian was born in The USA. Her parents, Thomas Rees (and ?) went from Morriston(The Graig, I believe) to live in Indiana. There they had 4 children. Two died at a young age, the third stayed there and my g mother came back to Morriston with her mother when Thomas died.
As my g mother wanted to be buried in Llangyfelach , I`m thinking that her mother and family were also buried there. Her mother married twice or three times, the last to a Bromham. I couldn`t find Lilian`s grave (and Ernest`s, buried together) when I visited the church so am wondering if they`re buried in a , `Bromham` grave. How would I find out, please?

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Sunday 02 April 17 08:31 BST (UK) »

Have grandparents buried in Llangyfelach Church. Lilian Rees and Ernest James Rees (born 1900). Lilian was born in The USA. Her parents, Thomas Rees (and ?) went from Morriston(The Graig, I believe) to live in Indiana. There they had 4 children. Two died at a young age, the third stayed there and my g mother came back to Morriston with her mother when Thomas died.
As my g mother wanted to be buried in Llangyfelach , I`m thinking that her mother and family were also buried there. Her mother married twice or three times, the last to a Bromham. I couldn`t find Lilian`s grave (and Ernest`s, buried together) when I visited the church so am wondering if they`re buried in a , `Bromham` grave.
How would I find out, please?
There is a 1300++ pdf file held by the Parish Church of St David and Cyfelach, which I have searched and I can find no trace of any of the names you mention in your message above.
The church has a website with a contact page: http://www.llang.co.uk/html/contact.html but I'm not sure what additional records the church has access to over and above the above mentioned document.

Were you aware that opposite the Parish Church, there is the Bethel Chapel which has a modest grave yard which is clearly visible on Google Maps, with an entry via the chapel (without parking) and an alternative entry with parking via Heol Fach (off the junction 46 roundabout), unfortunately:
    I have no details of if the grave yard is still open for burials and if not, when it might have been closed, also
    I currently have no point of contact for the chapel, please give me some time to see what I can come up with.
Also, just over the parish boundary to the east is Morriston Cemetery, which has been accepting burials since the early 1900's, the records for this cemetery are held at Swansea Civic Centre http://www.swansea.gov.uk/article/4033/Burials-and-cremations

I hope this assists you with your further investigations.

JohnG_Swansea.
Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.

Offline silvasands

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Sunday 02 April 17 11:07 BST (UK) »
Fab to receive a reply. Many thanks for your efforts, too. Yes, they were buried in the graveyard opposite Llangyfelach Church. I`d presumed both graveyards to be one and the same albeit they have a main rd. separating the two. I attended the burial and I thought I`d find it quite easily. It was an , `old ` grave and I didn`t take note of the headstone`s inscription but I don`t believe my mother had it taken away to be added to...so there would probably be no written record as far an inscription is concerned, it would solely be a recording of where my g. father`s ashes but more likely where my g. mother`s body was interred.As I mentioned, I would imagine it to have been where a faimly member had hitherto been buried...possibly with a different surname due to remarriage.Any advice given would be appreciated . Thank you.

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Llangyfelach church records
« Reply #67 on: Sunday 02 April 17 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Silvsands,

I have enquired about a Point of Contact for the Bethel Chapel, Llangyfelach.

The good lady is the caretaker and does not have access to the records you require.  I have been given the details of the Chapel Member that deals with the Chapel Records, but I cannot send details of this nature to you via the open pages of the Bulletin Board, we have to use the Personal Message (PM) system which requires both parties to have made at least three posts (each) to the Bulletin Board, so you will be able to use the PM system after your next post.

I was additionally advised that the date of the burial(s) will be required in order to speed-up the enquiry.

JohnG_Swansea.
Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.

Offline silvasands

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 02 April 17 23:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Well, have had a look through my diaries and can`t find when my g mother died. I think , at that time, my Mum was suffering from dementia and they died quite close together, date wise. It would be in the late 1990`s or early 2000`s.My sister might know but she`s in Australia visiting relatives at the moment.
I had wondered about calling in as I know there`s a building in the grounds near the graveyard.

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Llangyfelach church records
« Reply #69 on: Monday 03 April 17 07:14 BST (UK) »
Silvasands,

Please look for a Personal Message sent last evening.

Try clicking "My Messages" in the Button Bar at the top of the page.

JohnG_Swansea

Offline Jtyner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Monday 29 March 21 16:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Dahill, i have since found that my william lewis born 1836 is NOT son of william and hannah. He is son of David Lewis. Sorry for incorrect info.
Williams: Morriston Llangyfelach, Clydach Pontardawe
Jones: Monmouthshire, Caerphilly, Llandefeilog Carmarthen
Hutton: bells hill co. Down, northern Ireland and Dublin
Price: Caerphilly
Lewis: Pembrokeshire
Devonald: Moylegrove Pembrokeshire
David/Davies: Llanelly camarthenshire
Clement: Glamorgan

Offline Fenian1956

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Monday 18 April 22 11:45 BST (UK) »
Bore da/ Good morning Romilly.  I thought at one time (and in fact I may still have!) a Rees connection to this parish. My 3x great grandfather, William Rees, was born in Narberth in 1804.
I suspect that his wife, Ann Charles might be connected to this parish.  Incidentally, this was her second marriage.
Keith
COLLINS, HURLEY, O`DONAVON, MADDEN,
DE COURCY, BARRY, DEMPSEY, MURPHY, SULLIVAN, CORCORAN, HAYES (West Cork)
 MURPHY, PARLE (Wexford)
REES, JENKINS (Swansea)