Author Topic: 1891 Look-up please, Plymouth - HANNAFORD  (Read 9187 times)

Offline Frank48

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Plymouth - HANNAFORD
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 July 14 09:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Chris,

The only marriage details I have to date are in the form of a marriage certificate dated the 30th of January 1844 between John Symons and Bethia Hannaford.  The address given is Shadycombe and her father is one Richard Hannaford, occupation Shipwright.  I can scan and send you a copy if you like.  I am still looking for information, the person I am most interested in is Ethel May Davies, nee Symons, she is my grandmother on my father's maternal side. I am looking for information from the time of her wedding in 1918 to her death in Newport Wales in 1934.   Her husband was Herbert Edward Charles Davies, my grandfather on my father's paternal side.

Regards

Offline chris_1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 Look-up please, Plymouth - HANNAFORD
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 10 July 14 21:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Frank,
Thanks for your reply. it looks like we have the same family connections with the Hannafords from Shadycombe. I have been researching Bethia's brothers line, so cannot help with the Symons side.

Good luck with your research.
Chris
BENNETT, Acton, Staffs. DAVIES, Pwhelli, Wales. DODD, Bunbury, Northwich, Cheshire. Oldham, Lancs. FIELDING, Glossop, Derby. FOULKES, Denbigh. HAMSON, Leek, Staffs. HANNAFORD, Marlborough, Devon. HAYES, Woodbridge, Suffolk. HUTTON, Stapleton, Bristol. LLOYD, Denbigh,Wales. Collyhurst, Manchester. MILLER, Greenwich, Kent. PARKER, Sibsey, Lincolnshire. Manchester. REVITT, Manchester, and SYKES, Rastrick, Yorks, and Oldham.

Any census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline Frank48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 31 July 15 15:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Alli,

Apologies, just found your reply, I am very new to this rootschat stuff.

Would like to get more info about Joseph Hannaford, please contact me by this site or my email, seivadfd@bigpond.com.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Rgds

Frank

Offline chris_1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 31 July 15 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Frank,
It is some time since I last looked at my research on the Hannafords. You may already know as much as me if you checked my previous posts. Joseph Dale Hannaford ,Shipwright, was born in Salcombe on 24th April 1824 he married Ann Crocker daughter of John Crocker, Shoemaker, of Salcombe in 1854 at St Paul's church Deptford.
 He died in 1912. In 1841 census Joseph was 15yrs approx, and was living with parents Richard and Jane and sisters Amelia (Bethia), Maryann and Matilda and brother John Samuel.
Joseph and Ann lived in Deptford and on 1861 census he worked at the Royal dockyard. They later moved back to Plymouth, where Joseph died in 1912 aged 87yrs. I don't have much more info than this.

Regards,
Chris
BENNETT, Acton, Staffs. DAVIES, Pwhelli, Wales. DODD, Bunbury, Northwich, Cheshire. Oldham, Lancs. FIELDING, Glossop, Derby. FOULKES, Denbigh. HAMSON, Leek, Staffs. HANNAFORD, Marlborough, Devon. HAYES, Woodbridge, Suffolk. HUTTON, Stapleton, Bristol. LLOYD, Denbigh,Wales. Collyhurst, Manchester. MILLER, Greenwich, Kent. PARKER, Sibsey, Lincolnshire. Manchester. REVITT, Manchester, and SYKES, Rastrick, Yorks, and Oldham.

Offline Frank48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 01 August 15 03:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,
Thanks for the prompt reply.  I have a couple of questions but would appreciate copies of any documentation you may have to fill out the family details, especially photos.
You give Joseph a middle name of "Dale", Familysearch has "Date", I have seen some odd entries like this in Ancestry.  Do you have anything to confirm?
John Crocker, the shoemaker - where did this come from, marriage certificate?
I assume Deptford in Devon?
Do you have anything on his parents, I still cannot find much at all.
Any information will be gratefully received.
Thanks
Frank :)

Offline Frank48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
HANNAFORD
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 01 August 15 06:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,
Following on from my previous post,,,
I have found a Joseph (Date/Gate) Hannaford marriage to an Ann Crocker regisered in March 1854 but it is in "Roserhithe" which is in the county of Surrey. 
I have a sceen dump of the FreeBMD information but I have no idea how to attach it to this reply.

There is an icon, on the left above but underneath the "B" that says "Insert Image" but all it does is add the following -
If you would like to share your email address I can send it to you.
Let me know.
Rgds
Frank

Offline chris_1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 03 August 15 16:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Frank,

I have seen this record . I think they were married in the church of St George The Martyr in Southwark. I looked them up in the London Met. Archives, and also in Lewisham Library. I have a copy of the Baptism cert. of his son William Josiah Crocker Hannaford .The cert. says Dale but could be misinterpreted as Gale. I also have a copy of his daughter Matilda Sophie Jane's Baptism cert this also states Dale.

In familysearch.org IGI Individual record, the parents are given as Joseph Dale Hannaford and Ann.

The 1841 census of Marlborough , Salcombe states Ann Crocker's father is John Crocker aged 30 born Marleborough, Devon and occupation is Shoemaker.The same in 1851 Boot/Shoemaker. He is also listed in the Gazeteer & Directory of Devon 1850 as Shoemaker.
Regards,
Chris

Offline Frank48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Chris,

The Hannafords are definitely WIP.

In one of your earlier posts re Richard and Jane you had Bowhey followed by a question mark.
I have found reference to an RT and Jane  marriage in Malborough 1st of August 1814.  I have also found reference to her baptism in West Alvington, which is on a bit more than 2 miles from Salcombe, on the 7th of October 1790, her parents given as William and Ann, no clues on them to date.

I am more than confident that this is the right Jane for the following reasons...
My great grandfather's name at birth was "Albert Amos Turner Bowhey Symons"
The "Turner" comes from Mary Turner, husband of Joseph.
The "Bowhey" comes from the Jane Gay Bowhey, wife of Richard Hannaford
Census of 1851 confirms West Alvington as her birth place.

If you look at my Davies Family tree you will see the relationship more graphically.

Do you have a tree on Ancestry or FindMyPast?

Regards

Frank

Offline chris_1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 16 August 15 14:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Frank,

I don't currently have a subscription with Ancestry or any other similar site. Although, it would be interesting for me to see your Davies Family Tree as we do have ancestors in common.

Kind regards,
Chris