Author Topic: PICKERING/PICKERAM and WILSON  (Read 16897 times)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: PICKERING/PICKERAM and WILSON
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 17:32 BST (UK) »
Is anyone else interested in Pickering families from Londonderry? Also Wilson, and possibly Lavender.

Griffith's Valuation (1848-64) lists nine families named Lavender in Ireland. They were located in Counties Antrim. Dublin, Roscommon, Sligo and Wicklow. 

Ah good ... that's better ... back on the Derry board ... I'm sure the Pickering and Wilson families of Co. Londonderry were a bit confused by being moved around like that 8)

A Co. Down thread for the McGauchie family might be an idea. 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 17:36 BST (UK) »
Christopher- Andrea posted here looking for her James McGauchie from Co. Down, I moved it to County Down and then Andrea replied on this board. If you want to see the County Down thread:
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,331241.msg2112783.html#msg2112783
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 17:41 BST (UK) »
That makes sense ... a thread on each board 8)

Offline amcgauchie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 18:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help.  I am new to this site so a little at sea.  I have been doing family history research for many years but have only just discovered the Irish connection.  Andrea

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 October 08 06:52 BST (UK) »
Hi guys,

The Castledawson, County Derry section of the 1910 Belfast and Ulster Towns Directory lists the following ... www.libraryireland.com/UlsterDirectory1910/Castledawson.php

Pickering, Robert, mason, Aughagaskin
Pickering, Thomas, egg merchant, Tamnadace
Pickering, W. J., grocer

The magherafelt.gov.uk website shows that there were Pickerings buried at Christ Church, Castledawson.  http://castledawson.derry.anglican.org

Lance-Corporal Tom Pickering, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, Tamnadace
1914-19 Roll of Honour at the  Castledawson and Curran Presbyterian Church.  http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~econnolly/roh/rohcastledawson.html

Christopher

Offline foxglove

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christopher,

Thank you for this latest information on Pickering which you posted in October of 2008.

I just happened to find it by chance.  I thought we were supposed to receive e-mail notification when information was posted in response to our queries but I am not receiving anything.

Thanks again........these are probably related to me in some way.

Cheers,
Foxglove
Searching for BREEDS/BREADS, FARNDELL, JOY, DOBELL, FARMER, FRIEND, AUSTIN/AUSTEN, KENNARD, BRITCHER, WATERS, EAST, KIRBY in Kent and East Sussex,  also JENNINGS, BELL, COULTAS  in Yorkshire

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 17:57 GMT (UK) »
There are two ways of finding replies to your posts- email notifications (do you have that option selected? and is the email address you've registrered with up-to-date?) and clicking 'show new replies to your posts' when you are logged in.

Here's the help page:
www.rootschat.com/help/help_index.php
And the section re: no notifications:
www.rootschat.com/help/faqs.php#no_notifications
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline foxglove

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Aghadowey........I always used to receive e-mail notifications and have not done anything differently.....address is still the same.  I will have to figure out where I need to look to see if I still have that option selected.......I know I didn't change it.

Thanks again,
Foxglove
Searching for BREEDS/BREADS, FARNDELL, JOY, DOBELL, FARMER, FRIEND, AUSTIN/AUSTEN, KENNARD, BRITCHER, WATERS, EAST, KIRBY in Kent and East Sussex,  also JENNINGS, BELL, COULTAS  in Yorkshire

Offline susieque129

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 13 August 09 00:47 BST (UK) »
Hello;

I am interested in Pickering/Pickeram and the way we spell our name here in Canada now, Pickrem.   My great-great-great grandfather, James Pickering born  1801 in Aughrim, Magherafelt, Londonderry marreid Sarah Glassey b. 1805 from the same place and married here as well in abt 1826 or 1828.

I believe some of their children were born in Ireland, then they left for Canada where the remainder were born.  Family lore has it that their son, John was born aboard ship enroute to Nova Scotia, Canada abt 1840.

I am very interested in finding out who his parents and siblings were as well as Sarah Glassey's.  Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks;
Susieque
Pickering/Pickeram/Brown/Smith