Author Topic: HERMITAGE HALL  (Read 4177 times)

Offline joncee

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
HERMITAGE HALL
« on: Sunday 29 August 04 17:05 BST (UK) »

A long shot, can anyone help?

a forebear of mine gives an address as hermitage hall,
dos anyone know of such a place.
any help would be appreciated.
tahnks joncee
ARMYTAGE/ARMITAGE, BUSHELL,FRENCH, EDWARDS, EVES, STIMPSON, GWYNNE, NASH.TUCKER, COWELL, SNELL and TUCKER

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
Re: HERMITAGE HALL
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 September 04 10:51 BST (UK) »
I found this site

http://www.swri.org.uk/fedroxb.html

but it's in Scotland  :-\
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline joncee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 September 04 12:59 BST (UK) »

Hi Fitty,

thanks so much for your info, I do not think my armytages were up as far as that, but one never knows, I will have a trawl through it to see what may come to light.

take care joncee
ARMYTAGE/ARMITAGE, BUSHELL,FRENCH, EDWARDS, EVES, STIMPSON, GWYNNE, NASH.TUCKER, COWELL, SNELL and TUCKER

Offline Al

• RootsChat Extra
  • Please sir can I go now my brain is full
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 September 04 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Joncee

Never heard of Hermitage Hall, having seen the names you are interested do you think it could be a corruption of Armitage Hall?

just a thought.
Al
Researching Eastwood, Scott, Law from Halifax/Todmorden
Hughes from Lancashire
Selby from Notts

Offline M.T.H

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 September 04 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Joncee,

If you do a Google search for "Hermitage Hall" and select 'Results from the UK' it returns 84 results.

It might be worth having a look :)

Good luck,Mick ;)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

British Military History

Offline joncee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 September 04 18:16 BST (UK) »

Thanks for all your help shall start looking at the information given. much appreciated.

joncee

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 September 04 10:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,

this is the only info I found -

Hermitage Hall
An All Faiths Religious Retreat Centre.

A registered charity, Hermitage Hall exists for all denominations to enjoy and use the centre. Based on the site of a mediaeval Benedictine hermitage, used by ancient Pilgrims on their way to Walsingham and still used by today's modern pilgrims.

Two simple chapels are here, the Chapel of the Nativity, an all faiths chapel, beleived to be one of only four so dedicated in the world and the Blessed Sacrament Chapel, both perfect places for peaceful prayer and reflection.

Predominantly Roman Catholic, the centre holds a Mass every Thursday evening at 7.00pm.(times and days may vary).

The Reliquary Room was opened by the new Bishop of East Anglia, The Rt Rev'd Michael Evans in May 2003. On display in the Reliquary Room are many items, icons and statues from our religious past. Including the altar from Ely Place in London, the only Catholic altar saved during the reformation as it belonged to the Spanish Ambassador at the time. A relic from the True Cross is also on display.

In the courtyard of the centre is a Shrine to the Virgin Mary. This is a replica of the 1st century house in which Mary lived and died after the resurrection. The original can be found in the peace and serenity at Ephesus in Turkey.

Eric St John-Foti hopes you find peace at Hermitage Hall and use the facilities for spiritual refuge where peace between all religions may be found.

In the grounds you will find the Rosary Way, where you can walk the life of Jesus.

Also the centre has two different meeting and conference facilities, the Tapestry Room, a stately historic room with tapestries and armour embellishing the walls and the Library, which is a quiet reflective room suitable for smaller meetings.

How To Find Us
Contact Us
Guestbook

~~~~~~~~

Collectors World, Downham Market PE38 0AU
Tel: 01366 383 185   Fax: 01366 386519
Email: hermitagehall@aol.com

Winston
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Blakeley in Batley West Yorks
Turner in Hanging Heaton West Yorkshire
Dann last known area Soothill West Yorks
Hirst in Hanging heaton W Yorks
Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks
Tilburns in Morley W Yorks

Offline joncee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 September 04 10:33 BST (UK) »

Hi Winston,

Thank you for your interest and a welcoming reply, I shall have a look to see what it might unfold, once again many thanks.

joncee