Author Topic: Army service in the early 1900s  (Read 943 times)

Offline sandgrounder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Army service in the early 1900s
« on: Monday 07 November 05 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me the minimum age someone could join the army in the early 1900s? I'm talking about a man who would have been 18 in 1910. Also, what would have been the minimum length of time he would have had to sign up for and how difficult would it have been for him to leave before that time was up?

Thanks

Judith

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Army service in the early 1900s
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 November 05 05:05 GMT (UK) »
hiya judith,i have seen reference to boys as young as 11,many youngsters were orphans of soldiers who had died,the regiment provided them with an education and a career in the army,if a soldier didnt want to complete his full signing on term,then he could buy himself out,if he couldnt afford it,then the only other way was to desert,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline sandgrounder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Army service in the early 1900s
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 November 05 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mack,

Thanks for that. Well he wasn't an orphan, his dad was a vicar and I reckon he was well educated. I know they can buy themselves out now, but thought it might have been a bit more difficult in those days.

This person joined the Canadian Exped Force in late 1914 and stated on his attestation papers that he'd had 4 years service in the east Yorks Regiment. Presumably this would have been before WW1 as I can't see them letting him go once the War began.

regards,

Judith