Author Topic: Surnames as middle names  (Read 4184 times)

Offline Jacquie

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Surnames as middle names
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 31 August 04 05:56 BST (UK) »
My husband's great grandmother's middle name was Hector, which was obviously her mother's father's name.  The also had the habit of naming the females Eleanor.  So we have a long line of Eleanors with maiden names as their middle names. 

My husband has his grandmother's maiden name as his middle name which is Rae, spelt the girls way, so when he annoys me I call him a girl. 

Jacquie.
surnames researching:
Wolverhampton- Pearce Burt Crockett Cowley Dickinson Fisher Harris Spencer Owen
Dudley, Tipton, Brierley Hill - Fisher Cooper Pearson
Darlaston- Fisher

Norfolk- Pease Jewel Twite Holmstead Bird   Yorkshire- White Hawkin Pease
Kenilworth- Hammond

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 31 August 04 10:36 BST (UK) »
Having transcribed our parish records (Cambs), I noticed that at one time the eldest son would be saddled with his mother's maiden name as his first name (not middle name). The only time this becomes a problem is when the marriage is between cousins (not uncommon in a rural village) and you find Cadman Cadman amongst others.

Another trend worth noting is that where surnames are common, a middle name tends to be used as a differentiator - so that you can tell one branch of the family from another. It is a comparatively recent trend to record multiple names on the baptism register, so if a child were actually given more than one name, it is hard to discover the fact. This might be reflect the fact that even in a village of 2000 souls, there are instances of as many as 15 children being baptised simultaneously (and not all from the same family).

I think there is a law in economics which says that as soon as it is discovered that an indicator  can be used as a predictor (e.g. M3 money supply), it is no longer valid as exceptions emerge to disprove the rule. It would seem to be the same with genealogy.
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline bean

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 31 August 04 12:13 BST (UK) »
One ancestor changed his surname to inherit a will - all his children born afterwards had his original surname as their middle name.

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 03 September 04 08:02 BST (UK) »
My middle name is Challinor which was my maternal grandmother's maiden name and she was 1 of 4 daughters.  My mother decided to give the name to me so I could carry it on.............needless to say none of my children have the name!!!!! 

Over the years it has caused problems - quite recently I had a hospital appointment addressed to Mrs Challinor-Lloyd and the admin office couldn't understand why they were unable to find my notes  ???

Don't know why but I have always hated not having a "normal" middle name  >:(  At least my daughter doesn't have to suffer with a middle name of Jones (my maiden name)!!!

Jan  ;D
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline bean

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 03 September 04 09:07 BST (UK) »
My familys' middle name was Banks - but we also got a 'normal' middle name as well! By the time it got to my dad, 4 gens, he decided enough was enogh and had the Banks hyphenated with Davies to make it a bit easier. He says that he got a lot of confusing post too!!

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 03 September 04 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I have a number of examples of a surname cropping up in later generations.  Certainly in 19th century Scotland a child would often be given their mother's maiden name as a middle name - or even (better still, and a big clue) their grandmother's maiden name.  If you read old Scottish wills, then you will nearly always find that the wife is referred to first by her maiden name and then her married name. 

Here in England I have found a surname cropping up as a middle name and is usually the mother's maiden name but it has also been the grandmother's maiden name.  I have also found the surname used as a christian name e.g. in Sussex, Goring (for a girl !!) twice and Plumer (for a boy).  Other times it could be a sponsor or godparent's name.  But whichever one it is, it has always been a huge clue about the correct path to follow back in time.

Nell

PS Although I pity the Scot I know who was given his birth mother's surname as his middle name when he was adopted: Rose!!
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 03 September 04 12:42 BST (UK) »
I have this practice in every generation of my Dumfrieshire families from 1860s onward to the present day.  

It has led to some interesting leads as well.  Here's an example.

Helen Scott and Michael Fallen had numrous children all called:-

"first name" Scott Fallen

But in 1874 a child was born called Joseph Faulder Fallen

Now I can't enumerate the solid hours nay days I spent tryng to find the Faulder family connection!

Now I've had my problems with Mr Michael, a right royal pain he has been to find!

In 1851 he is living with his parents Thomas and Bridget in Maxwelltown, Troqueer, KKT and in 1841 he is newly born (2m) also in Maxwelltown, Troqueer, KKT.  But 1861, no sign anywhere.  Then purely by accident I trip over him in 1861 or is it him?  

There is a 20 year old called Michael Faulder who was born in Troqueer living as a servant in the house of Elizabeth Faulder and her son....  wait for it... Joseph Faulder

Now, I can't prove this is him, but the evidence lends towards me believing this is him.  Questions I can't answer are...

1.  Is the relationship enumarated incorrectly?
2.  Is the surname enumarated incorrectly?
3.  Was Michael adopted as a youngster and he took the Faulder name whilst he lived and worked with the family?

The fact that he used the name "Joseph Faulder" for one of his kids is intriguing.  There is also a slim chance that Helen Scott who later married Michael could be related to Joseph Faulder through their 3xg grandmother.

I love this kind of puzzle but at the end of the day I can only end up with a number of answers - nothing definitive.  But in Scotland at least the naming conventions can help.

Pam
 ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline Su

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Every time an Angel smiles a flower grows
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 03 September 04 16:40 BST (UK) »
I discovered this some time ago.  I found a Josiah Daniels Yarwood, which immediately put me onto his Mum's side.  Then I found to Bradley-Yarwoods, but can I find out who the Bradley's where??
They should be - Drivingmebonkers-Bradley-Yarwood.
Su
Barnett Altrincham/Manchester
Bates Hindley Lancs
Bowyer Altrincham Cheshire
Cunliffe Hindley
Hollingworth Hale Barnes/Mobberley Ches
Jones Salford/Altrincham
Ramsdale Hindley Lancs
Timperley Warburton/Dunham Massey
Yarwood Great Budworth,Lymm,Dumham Massey

All Census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 04 September 04 15:51 BST (UK) »
I have tons of surnames as middle names- often the mother' s or granmother's maiden name- Willliam Parkinson Nixon, Thomas Tyson Nixon, Thomas Porter Tyson, Thomas Sutton Hancock etc.  It actually helps me to confirm that a person is correct in my search for anecestors.

The Scottish tradition of women using their maiden name is true... It was even used by my ancestors that came to the United States:  Jessie K. Yuill (nee Kennedy) and Janette C. Yuill (nee Cochrane).  My grandma was Gertrude Y. Schwarz (nee Yuill).  I have sort of Broken the tradition.  Bad me! :o
- Kristin
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive