Author Topic: McKaig from Ireland to Canada  (Read 11349 times)

Offline pigmoss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
McKaig from Ireland to Canada
« on: Wednesday 09 November 05 01:30 GMT (UK) »
I have a Hugh McKaig b. 1814 in Ireland (listed variously as Presbyterian, Baptist or Methodist). Married Isabella McVicar bef. 1831. Had a daughter Charlotte b. in Scotland 1831, a son Hugh b. Edinborough Scotland 1846, Robert b. 1848 Scotland 1848, Neil b. 1850 in England. Next child was born in 1857 in Canada. Therefore the family emigrated between 1850-57. I would love to get some information on the family when they lived in the UK.

Thank you,

GK
Bull in Leicestershire (Theddingworth)and Northhamptonshire. ARCHER in Northhamptonshire(Sibbertoft). ISAAC in Devon (Feniton). TOWNSEND in Somerset (Crewkerne). KELLY in London (PLumstead). Crewe or Crew in Bristol (Crews Hole). MARTIN in Bristol. JENKINS in Fulham and Kensington. LEONARDS in Sunbury Middlesex.   SMITH Galway NY USA.

Offline Charles44

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McKaig from Ireland to Canada
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 December 05 07:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello!

My great great grandfather, Archibald McKaig, was born in County Down Ireland in 1838. He went to New York around 1860, where he married Francis Strong, who was from Limerick, Ireland. My father was born in California, and moved to Canada in the 1950s. I live outside the Vancouver area.

So, another McKaig, from Ireland to Canada. I would love to know more about the McKaigs I am related to.

Merry Christmas

Charles McKaig

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 December 05 13:25 GMT (UK) »
GK,

I have a lot of Irish ancestors who came to Canada in the early to mid-1800s (no McKaigs).  I haven't been able to trace any of them back to Ireland because I don't know who their parents were.  There aren't any death or cemetery records for any of them in Canada.  The only thing I don't know for certain is whether or not any of them left wills that might have mentioned parents or family back in Ireland.  They were all poor  farmers so it's doubtful.

Where did your McKaigs settle in Canada?  Do you know if their cemetery headstones give any clues?  Have you found out if they had wills?  If you can learn their parents' names, that might give you a starting point.

Regards,
Josephine

England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline pigmoss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 December 05 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Charles,

It is probable that all the McKaigs especially those more recent McKaigs who spell it the way you and my wife's family do, are probably (possibly) related over the last three of four hundred years. Until I can get more information on our McKaigs in Ireland, Scotland etc. I won't be able to make the connection to the ones in Ireland or others that imigrated as your gg grandfather did. I have done the DNA thing for my own paternal line (Kelly) and hopefully someone will get that started with the McKaigs. That may be the only way we will ever be able to tie all our relatives together. Forenames run in families and I believe there is a branch of the McKaigs (not related to my McKaigs) who live in the Huron/Grey county area of Ontario that have Archibalds in them.

Regards,

GK
Bull in Leicestershire (Theddingworth)and Northhamptonshire. ARCHER in Northhamptonshire(Sibbertoft). ISAAC in Devon (Feniton). TOWNSEND in Somerset (Crewkerne). KELLY in London (PLumstead). Crewe or Crew in Bristol (Crews Hole). MARTIN in Bristol. JENKINS in Fulham and Kensington. LEONARDS in Sunbury Middlesex.   SMITH Galway NY USA.

Offline pigmoss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 December 05 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Josephine,

Thanks for your interest and suggestions. The McKaigs in Ontario and the USA have been researched very thoroughly by a woman named Carole Ann McKaig. This was pre computer and she really did a good job. She finally published her research to be sold to McKaig family members of whom there are many. My hope is to subtantiate her conclusions about the origins of  the McKaigs in Ireland. So my situation is similar to yours. DNA testing may be the only answer.

Regards,

GK

Offline Charles44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 December 05 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Hey Group,

Wow.......all these replies! Perhaps I could say a few more words about my McKaigs. My great great grandfather, after he came to the United States, fought in the Civil War and then worked as a police captain in Jersey City. He had several children: William, Archie, Fannie, Charles, Mary and Edward. I only know about my great grandfather, Charles, who married Laura Grant Petts and moved to California around 1900.  I've been looking around the net for years, but have been unable to find out what happened to the rest of my great grandfathers children.

Wouldn't it be interesting to read the work of Carole Anne McKaig?

Has everyone read THE MCKAIG FAMILY JOURNAL, about a Confederate family in Cumberland? It sometimes comes up for sale on the Ebay. A fun read.

Thanks

Charles

Offline Emjayben

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 August 13 03:11 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I am a member of the McKaig Family that you posted about.   

MJ Bengough

Offline Emjayben

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 August 13 02:52 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I live in London, Ontario.  My Grandfather was Irah (Ire) McKaig and my Grandmother was Genevieve (Richie).  Not sure if you are connected or not.  There are a lot of McKaig family connections here in London. 
My Line...Noreen Marie (McKaig) Logan,  Irah, James (Mary Jane Harris) McKaig, Hugh, (Jane Coepland) McKaig, Hugh, (Isabella McViccar) McKaig, Donald, (Nancy Brown) McQuaig. 

Please contact me if you wish
Marilyn

(*) Moderator Comment: Personal details removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Bayfield_ca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 September 14 22:48 BST (UK) »
We are of the same family. I would like to see pre Donald McQuaig as I believe he may be the son of Angus McQuaig. My Grandfather was John Clifford McKaig. So my great grandfather was Hugh (Jane Copeland) McKaig etc etc. Regards Bayfield_ca