Author Topic: 1837.com  (Read 2793 times)

Lizzie

1837.com
« on: Sunday 29 August 04 13:30 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am wondering if anyone has used the new (to me) 1837.com?

I paid my 5 pounds this morning and it seems to be stuck in limbo. I only got blank sheets to start - was directed to look at other options before contacting them - this does not work either.  Managed to send an email and now await their reply, do not know how long this will take as they are in London and I am in Canada.  My clock is ticking!
Anyone had any experience with this site?

Elizabeth
Ontario

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1837.com
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 August 04 19:25 BST (UK) »
I'm mystified by this site as it seems to be just a search facility using Google.  Did you mean 1837 Online?  If so, you may have been getting blank sheets because you didn't have the viewer downloaded.  It's well worth downloading for other applications and indispensable for this site.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline MrsLizzy

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 September 04 19:16 BST (UK) »
You need to download the DejaVu thingy wotsit.  I did and I have used this site for months with no problems.

8) 8)
Connell (Mayo & Lancs 19th/20th c) Culling (Norfolk & London 19th c) Diss (Essex) Giesen (UK only 19th/20th c) Hackney (London) Henbest (Kent & Sussex) Hughes (Mayo to Burnley, Lancs & Edward, Parachute Regiment 40s, 50s) Lister (London) Maltby (Marylebone) Mayo (Glos) Nials Noquet (Huguenot) Phillips (S London) Poulain (France & London) Rayner (Halstead, Essex) Pratt (Kent & Sussex) Redfearn (London) Silk Speller (Rodings, Essex) Thompson (S London) Thurley Trundle Wade Westley

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 September 04 21:28 BST (UK) »

Also be patient when you do because some of the pages do take a while to load -
We expect everything to be instant don't we ?  I have silently yelled at the screen on 1837 online many a time 
Suey
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 September 04 10:30 BST (UK) »
Been using this site since it started. Found 18 relatives never knew of. I had started out with just grandparents. Mind you it was helpful as the name I was searching for (McGurn) is pretty unusual plus the fact that most lived in West Derby and had been given two names.

Consequently getting the BMD certificates through the info gave me more names.

Can be a bit pricey at first but once you get to know what part of the alphabet your name is is it helps. With McGurn if there were two pages I would go for the second page as U is at the end of the alphabet in the MCG section. If you see what I mean.

Not quite so easy with my HARRIS and STABLES names though.

Jean
McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 September 04 17:03 BST (UK) »
its a great site found lots but it does take a while to get used to it.
you definately need to download viewer and to print from their print sign on page .

message me if you still have a problem I have some spare credits and could take a look for you

sandie
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 September 04 20:19 BST (UK) »
Another tip (I learnt this the expensive way !): 

You will probably want to re-check images.  You can do this as often as you like, without extra charge, during the session, but a new session means paying again.
So, download images you are interested in.  Get the free déja-vu plug in for IrfanView, then you can look at these images as often as you want , offline.

IrfanView and plug-ins are available free at http://www.irfanview.com
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)