Author Topic: Mistakes  (Read 2882 times)

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Mistakes
« on: Monday 30 August 04 19:35 BST (UK) »
I've been struck by the number of "mistakes" I've come across in official documents whilst gathering data on my relatives.  Marriage registration seems particularly prone to it.  There's the mariage register in Canada which shows the soldier groom as a Corporal when he was only a Gunner, and the marriage certificate in Carlisle which shows the groom as a general labourer when he was actually a serving soldier.  Then there's the marriage certificate which gives the ages of both bride and groom as a year more than they were.  All my examples come from the 19th and early 20th centuries.  I suppose people rarely had to produce proof of ID in those days.  But it does show the need to have more than one source of information.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
Re: Mistakes
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 August 04 22:34 BST (UK) »

I have a few certificates with mistakes or straight out porkie pies such as 'of full age' on a marriage cert. when great grandma was, in fact, sixteen years old.

Yesterday I received a marriage certificate for 2nd great grandmother whose father, a butcher, is recorded as deceased on her birth certificate ( I have the death certificate ) Well, there he is on the marriage certificate, alive and well and a Labourer

Amazing stuff!
Aaron ;D
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline munchies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Elias Saundie (Soundie) and Jane Heeley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 August 04 11:32 BST (UK) »
I have a great aunts marriage certificate which states father richard deceased whereas father was elias deceased and richard was brother alive. Could have been vey confusing if I hadn't known for definite who they already were. i can only guess that brother richard gave her away in place of father and name was mixed up on the certificate. But it does make me wary of believing every detail on other certificates
Donna
Surname interests Soundie, Brookfield, Healey/Heeley, Frost, Handley, Goodall Weaver, Evans, Pagett, Waywell/Whaywell, Haimes, Jones, Roberts, Cummins Ryder, Bleasdale and Foley, Jackson, Robinson, Calvert and Grayson.
Searching in Liverpool, Shropshire, London, Worcester and Holywell, Stafford and Cheshire.  (and eventually in Ireland) :-)

Offline Kimi

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 August 04 16:50 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

I have also found this in several of my documents.  On my Great Grandmother's marriage certificate her Brother is down as her Father - nearly ended up chasing a whole different branch of family!  On another one, the Father is "Deceased" but I know that he wasn't at the time.  I  have one where "full age" was used when in fact, one of them was a minor.  Another one says that the informat of a death was the Widow of the deceased but she was his Daughter-in-Law - His wife had died some years before - Talk about try to confuse you  :o
Ryder- Limehouse/Canning Town.
Couley- Limehouse. 
Hogben- Canning Town/Kent
Richbell- Kent.
Davies - Lancashire
Lester - Berkshire