Author Topic: 1902 Alverstoke Birth Cert Query  (Read 3354 times)

Offline sadie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1902 Alverstoke Birth Cert Query
« on: Monday 30 August 04 21:43 BST (UK) »
I have a birth certificate that I am trying to identify some information on - do not know if any one can help.

The birth is of a Sydney Arthur Russell Bell b. 08 Aug 1902, Alverstoke, Southampton, I cannot make out the address it is 18 (Mouland, cannot make this out) Road, the town looks like it might be Fratton, only it seems to be spelt Fraton or something.
The father is Sydney Richard Bell & the mother a Margaret, formerly Cole - Sydney Richard seems to be a Prison Warden, does anybody have any information on what prison it might be. The father in 1901 was married to an Edith Ann formerly Rogers & appears on the 1901 census as a Bombardeer B O G S A Royal Gan Artilley, but must have remarried & changed jobs by Aug 1902.

If anybody is able to point me in the right direction I would be a very happy girl. Many thanks - sadie :-*

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1902 Alverstoke Birth Cert Query
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 May 05 10:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Sadie,

I've only just come across this post  :-[ - sorry it has taken so long!

The address is actually Moreland Road, the place is Forton which is in the Alverstoke/Gosport area of Portsmouth and the prison looks as if it is now HMP Haslar in Gosport.

If you search Moreland Road Gosport at
http://www.streetmap.co.uk
and zoom out you will get to an OS map of the area.  Go south-east towards the harbour shore and you will see the prison marked.

Hope that helps you.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sadie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 October 05 20:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Nell

Please forgive my tardiness to thank you, I was without computer when you replied & have moved north, not had chance to get into my family research, but am now back to it & just found you message, thank you very much for your help.

Sadie ;D

Offline johntoday

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 January 10 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sadie

Little Nell was correct with her reply to you but there was another prison in Gosport called Forton Prison, which is within walking distances of Moreland Road , it was in LEES LANE which leads from Forton Road to Whitworth Road. All that is left of the prison is the stone archway at the entrance, this now leads to the council housing estate.
Hope this is of some help
Johntoday
Etheridge,(Ham). Churcher (Ham). Miller (Glamorgan)