Author Topic: Marriage Certificate 1867 by Certificate?  (Read 2893 times)

Offline Patk

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Marriage Certificate 1867 by Certificate?
« on: Tuesday 31 August 04 04:13 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me what it means when a marriage is by certificate, as opposed to by Banns or a Special Licence.
The marriage certificate I have obtained is by the Primitive Methodist Chapel, and certificate is above the Minister's name.
The groom and bride was a widower, and a widow respectively.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you
Patk
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bouncing Emails

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Certificate 1867 by Certificate?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 August 04 05:36 BST (UK) »
Here you go Patk  ;D

this site will explain all about Banns / license etc.

http://dansmith049.tripod.com/WDIM/WDIM_11.html

Enjoy,

Aaron :D

PS - if there is a problem with this link just put 'marriage license banns' into Google and the site will be top of list
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Patk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 August 04 05:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks Aaron

I will try that, I knew someone would be able to assist me, that is so kind of you.

Pat

Bouncing Emails

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 August 04 05:55 BST (UK) »

No problem Pat,

post again and let me know if you found the site - I think I made a mess of the address!

Aaron ;D

Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Patk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 September 04 00:07 BST (UK) »
Dear Aaron

That is a great site, with many other "What does it mean" articles, well written and easy to understand. Now I know one of my ancestor marriages was not a cloak and dagger affair!
Thanks again, is it advertised on Roots Chat?

Pat

Bouncing Emails

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 September 04 01:57 BST (UK) »

;D ;D  'Tis now, Pat ;D ;D

Good Huntin'
Aaron
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland

Offline dinkey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 September 04 09:16 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of a marriage entry 30 November 1829 from St Chads Rochdale. Both bride and groom are shown as from the parish of Spotland. married by banns. No age is given for either of them. Neither are father's names given. The witnesses are names that as far as I have established are not relatives.

Is there any way I can find out an exact address in Spotland for them.

Can anyone tell me how I take this line back further with so little information provided on the marriage of this couple.

regards

dinkey
TRAVIS/ROCHDALE-OLDHAM-TODMORDEN-ASHTON-U-LYNE-BURY AREAS
DALTON/WIDNES- CHESHIRE-THORNTON-FLEETWOOD

Offline Patk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 September 04 00:37 BST (UK) »
Dear Dinkey,

Spotland is a difficult area to research, as it is one of my areas too. Try doing a search using Latter Day Saints, IGI, and also a place search to see if you can find a census and spot them there. The Genuki pages on Church Records for Lancashire also lists the individual areas and is a good place to start too as you could find some other names there perhaps a mother and a father, list them all out if you do. I make hundreds of notes and then look at possible matchings in a particular area. I have matched several families this way and then confirmed with a census.
Lancashire has some good church records held at the Lancashire Record Office. Other than these suggestions there does not seem to be an easy answer.
Hope this helps you,
Pat

Bouncing Emails

Offline dinkey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 September 04 15:07 BST (UK) »
Pat

Try doing a search using Latter Day Saints, IGI, and also a place search to see if you can find a census and spot them there. The Genuki pages on Church Records for Lancashire also lists the individual areas and is a good place to start too as you could find some other names there perhaps a mother and a father, list them all out if you do.

I might be being a bit thick here, do you mean that when I have looked for the churches listed on GENUKI for this area I then look for them on IGI and do a search for the family surname. I should then try to find these names on the various census records.

I just need to get it straight as to the best way of doing my search.

Thanks for your interest and your help.

regards

dinkey
I have a copy of a marriage entry 30 November 1829 from St Chads Rochdale. Both bride and groom are shown as from the parish of Spotland. married by banns. No age is given for either of them. Neither are father's names given. The witnesses are names that as far as I have established are not relatives.

Is there any way I can find out an exact address in Spotland for them.

Can anyone tell me how I take this line back further with so little information provided on the marriage of this couple.

regards

dinkey

TRAVIS/ROCHDALE-OLDHAM-TODMORDEN-ASHTON-U-LYNE-BURY AREAS
DALTON/WIDNES- CHESHIRE-THORNTON-FLEETWOOD