Poll

Have you found anyone famous in your family tree?

Yes
127 (39.7%)
No
106 (33.1%)
Not yet
87 (27.2%)

Total Members Voted: 316

Author Topic: Found Anyone Famous  (Read 90705 times)

Offline paulmh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Found Anyone Famous
« on: Friday 23 July 04 13:29 BST (UK) »
The family tree can lead to everal hundereds of entry's in different generations,maybe along the way you have found that you are related to Alexander Graham Bell who invented the telephone, Robin Hood or even Watt Tiler.

Maybe an ancester did something heroic but was never credited for it. Anyway I thought it may make an interesting question.
Name Interests: Holland, Marshall, Townrow, Taylor.

Townrow Family Tree - http://townrowfamilytree.weebly.com
Football Researchers - http://footballresearches.weebly.com/index.html
Sheffield United - www.blades-mad.co.uk

Offline Adi1962

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Found Anyone Famous
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 July 04 15:33 BST (UK) »
Not Yet.

The nearest I have to any thing positive is on my Godden side, where a godden married the brother of George Washington, but at best the Godden is a distant cousin many times removed.

On the down side Piers Morgen, the ex Editor, is a 2nd or 3rd Cousin.

Adrian
Currently researching
GODDEN, MARSH, WATERS & HUGHES Mid Kent
BUSHROD Mid Kent/Dorset,
FURMINGER Aylesford/Maidstone/Sittingbourne - Kent

visit http://www.Kent-opc.org

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 July 04 17:15 BST (UK) »
Another good question.   ;D

Reminds me of an earlier thread, Are you Related to Royalty:

http://www.rootschat.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3318.0

so far I have no distinguished ancestors,  lots of interesting ones though.  ;D

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 July 04 00:21 BST (UK) »
When I started the Are you related to Royalty? thread I was bemoaning the fact that I come from a long line of servants and labourers -  I was hoping for something a bit more colourful in the future.

Well. last week on a census for Gloucester I turned up a Hawker - such excitment! It's nearly as good as finding someone famous......
Aaron
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 July 04 15:10 BST (UK) »
Depends what you mean by famous.  'Worthy of mention', was the brother of my 5x great grandfather, a miller of some standing in the Dorking area, who was mentioned twice in a book of the area, as having been attacked by highwaymen on his way back from Horsham market :o and as having dropped down dead in his stables four days after his mill burnt down in 1843 :(
Infamous might be a possible association with the Shipley gang, a band of latter day hooligans who terrorised local communities in Sussex in the 1800s.
Not very exciting, but still fascinating to me and they're all mine ;D
Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline philip wood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 July 04 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am doing something a bit different, I am putting all known entries for my village of WHITTINGTON Staffs, onto a genealogy package over 20,00 entries so far.
We have in our churchyard (St Giles) the grave of Thomas Spencer, who heck him? he was the co founder of Marks and Spencer, who got seriously rich. I have written his history available at:-  www.woodswhittingtonwebsite.co.uk    regards Phil.

Offline Amy K

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy: Chasing your own tale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 August 04 23:51 BST (UK) »
I found out that i am related to George Fordham. Who?? I hear you ask. Well, actually, he was a champion jockey in the 1800's and he still has an entry in the guiness book of records. I am trying to research all the descendants of his parents. I thought it would be interesting to contact them and let them know about George.

For those of you who are interested you can read his biography on my website (i just love saying that!)

http://www.rootschat.com/~foliages/Biographies/GFordham.htm

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 August 04 03:38 BST (UK) »
Amy,

I think that is a lovely idea,  they may not know about him. 

Have you managed to find out much about him yourself?  As a champion jockey you may be lucky enough to find a portait of him or something.

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline dinkey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 August 04 09:14 BST (UK) »
I have a distant ancestor Deborah Travis who sang in concerts around the country between 1815 & 1843. She was famous for her rendition of Handels Messiah and was indentured to the Duke of Westminster. She came from a lowly cotton family in Shaw Oldham. I would love to see a photo of her but have not found anything on Google. Her husband William Knyvett was even more famous in his time. He was a Proffessor of Music in the early 1800's. Conducted the Birmingham Festivals. He also composed songs and anthems for King George IV & Queen Victoria.

Although these are very distant ancestors, I have found a large number who have sung in various choirs.Also, a GG uncle Joseph Travis who travelled up and down the Golden Mile at Blackpool in the 1930's with a piano on a cart singing and selling sheet music . I would also like to find information on him. Singing does seem to be in our genes right up to  the present day and that includes myself. Which is another reason why I am trying to find  photos. of Deborah Travis/Knyvett and Gt Uncle Joe.

Any suggestions where I can look.

regards

dinkey
TRAVIS/ROCHDALE-OLDHAM-TODMORDEN-ASHTON-U-LYNE-BURY AREAS
DALTON/WIDNES- CHESHIRE-THORNTON-FLEETWOOD