Poll

Have you found anyone famous in your family tree?

Yes
127 (39.7%)
No
106 (33.1%)
Not yet
87 (27.2%)

Total Members Voted: 316

Author Topic: Found Anyone Famous  (Read 90759 times)

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
Re: Found Anyone Famous
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 August 04 02:02 BST (UK) »
There is a portrait of a William Knyvett in the National Gallery.  And a picture of it on their site.  It is also possble to get a print of it from them.   ;D

http://www.npg.org.uk/live/search/portrait.asp?LinkID=mp02588&rNo=0&role=sit

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline dinkey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 August 04 08:28 BST (UK) »
I should have mentioned that I do have that photo. of William Knyvett. A very distinguished looking gent.

Pity I can't find one of my more humble Uncle Joe & Deborah.

Thanks

dinkey
TRAVIS/ROCHDALE-OLDHAM-TODMORDEN-ASHTON-U-LYNE-BURY AREAS
DALTON/WIDNES- CHESHIRE-THORNTON-FLEETWOOD

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 15 August 04 23:41 BST (UK) »
Ohh,

Dinky,  I was so excited I had found that portrait for you,  I was under the impression you wanted pictures of any of them.   :(

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline dinkey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 August 04 08:34 BST (UK) »
I am so sorry that I put you to all that trouble finding the photo. of William Knyvett when I already had it. An abject lesson to me to make sure I read through my requests before sending them, so that it is clear exactly what I already have and what I am looking for.

I have given myself a slap on the wrist.

Regards

dinkey
TRAVIS/ROCHDALE-OLDHAM-TODMORDEN-ASHTON-U-LYNE-BURY AREAS
DALTON/WIDNES- CHESHIRE-THORNTON-FLEETWOOD

Offline bloomkitty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 29 August 04 23:02 BST (UK) »
I am an American, and have recently discovered that, on my mother's father's mother's side, (got that?), we're directly descended from British and French monarchs, and this information came as a complete surprise.  We've since discovered that we're related to the following:

• Charlemagne
    • Egbert
    • Alfred the Great
    • Duke William I of Aquitaine
    • Edward the Confessor
    • William the Conqueror
    • Eleanor of Aquitaine
    • Henry II
    • King John
    • Henry III 
    • Edward I
    • Emperor Ludwig of Bavaria
    • Philippe VI of France
    • Jean II Of France
    • Charles V of France
    • Charles VI of France
    • Henry VII
    • Henry VIII
    • QE2

... among others.  I believe we're direct descendents from all of them (i.e., they're all our umpteenth great-grandparents), except QE2 and the Henry's, who are cousins.  I imagine there are 10 million other folks on earth who can claim the same heritage, but still, I find all of this fairly mind-boggling!  :o

We've also discovered that on my dad's side we're related to St. Therese (the "Little Flower").

Rest assured, the bloodline has thinned out enough to where there is nothing saintly or royal about our current generation!  (I'm not expecting any invitations to Buckingham Palace or the Vatican anytime soon!)  ;)

-Mary
a mere peasant, really
British Royal Family -- King Henry II is my 22nd great-grandfather!

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 30 August 04 01:29 BST (UK) »

Wow, Mary! ;D

methinks you can go straight to the top of the list - what a pedigree!!
I doubt it can be bettered........

Aaron ( bowing out backwards ;D ;D )
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bloomkitty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 30 August 04 01:45 BST (UK) »
what a pedigree!!

As I replied in the other thread about royalty -- That, and a dollar-twenty-five, will get me a cup of coffee!   ;)

Seriously, though, I had no idea we had any English ancestors, much less royal ones.  It has forced me to start reading about some of your British history!  Quite a few of these monarchs were cads and scoundrels -- not so sure I'm proud to be descended from them!   ::)

-Mary   :)
British Royal Family -- King Henry II is my 22nd great-grandfather!

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 06 September 04 14:32 BST (UK) »
I've just dug out the following at the weekend:

Quote:
This Assheton family dates back to the Norman Conquest, and had fought with the Conqueror at Hastings in 1066. They had formed an alliance by marriage with the Hothams. Asshetons and Hothams were to become members in Cromwell's Long Parliament and fought at the Battle of Agincourt. Ralph Assheton knighted by Richard III in 1483 and known as The Black Knight. Later Sir John Assheton was knighted on the battlefield at Northampton by the king.

Bosworth Field 1485
The Hopwoods were subject to Sir Ralph Assheton, Vice constable of England the new Lord of Middleton at this time. Sir Ralph executed Richard Crookback's enemies with great severity. He had a reputation for cruelty and was known as the 'Black Knight'. Thomas Hopwood and his three young sons John, Robert and Ralph fought under the Black Knight's banner at Bosworth though the battle was lost owing to treachery. After the death of their royal master Richard, they fled the field, but the forces of Henry Tudor captured them and Sir Ralph was later beheaded.
Unquote

Ralph Assheton was my 15x grandfather. Not sure whether I should be pleased I've managed to go back that far, or dismayed that I've found such a character.
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 06 September 04 14:51 BST (UK) »
Sorry BloomKitty, I think I can beat you there - if you believe all the legends, then I am related to

King David
(the biblical one !)

see the full story on "are you related to royalty"

http://www.rootschat.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3318.msg8055#msg8055

there are some more contributions & thoughts on this subject on "Blue blood" which fit in quite well here:
http://www.rootschat.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10725.0

Royal Regards to a Royal Cousin !
Bob

p.s.
Is there a smiley for "Tongue Firmly in Cheek" ?
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)