Poll

Have you found anyone famous in your family tree?

Yes
127 (39.7%)
No
106 (33.1%)
Not yet
87 (27.2%)

Total Members Voted: 316

Author Topic: Found Anyone Famous  (Read 90770 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: Found Anyone Famous
« Reply #225 on: Sunday 14 February 10 15:35 GMT (UK) »
I do love the stories on that programme..  Just had notice that Lisa Kudrow is going to be on the american version.... interesting...

xin

Offline astro-rolf

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 13:44 BST (UK) »
I've found Dr William Joseph Simmonite in my tree. He was a well known Herbalist and wrote at least 6 books, which you can still buy copies of at least 2 of them.

Heather

Have you got the complete birth date and place for William Joseph Simmonite? It would be very helpful for a wiki article and I don't know how else to get the data.

Rolf

Offline dbath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: Monday 28 June 10 02:25 BST (UK) »
I could not find the option I wanted on this poll:  not from my own research or a credible source.  I found that genealogists from about 100 years back often traced people back to royalty, then on to King David and Adam.  I personally have not been able to verify any of these links.  My grandfather's uncle also told stories about how Bath children were secreted from their castle by servants after their father freed his serfs and the surrounding gentry came and burned the castle.  While exciting and pride generating, this story is not true unless it happened before 1670, which is as far as I have been able to trace, and if my uncle knew about the story from that time, he should be famous! 
BATH - Stithians, Cornwall; HOLMAN, Gwennap, Cornwall; KNOWLES - Cornwall, Devon; REED - Cornwall; CLEGG - Oldham, Lancashire; OGDEN - Oldham, Lancashire; JAMES - Suffolk; REID/REED/READ - Hadleigh, Suffolk; SANDS - Stratford St Mary, Suffolk; TUCKER - Gravesend, Kent;

Offline poppy16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: Thursday 08 July 10 00:29 BST (UK) »
I discovered my great great uncle played for Manchester United from 1911-1918.  He was called George Anderson.  His younger brother, Thomas Anderson signed for Bolton Wanderers in 1921.  George ended up in prison after his career ended and I think he emigrated to USA after his release where he died aged 38 (but I don't know why!). 
Whitbys of Ince, Runcorn, Cheshire & Salford, Lancashire
Robinsons of Salford, Lancashire
Gillhams of Yeovil, Somerset & Salford Lancashire
Andersons of Salford, Lancashire
Boardmans & Yates of Salford, Lancashire

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: Thursday 08 July 10 08:28 BST (UK) »
Ok, my friend's tree contains the following famous people, all closely related or direct line:
-- an 19th century doctor, social reformer, bibiliophile and writer of books, famous in Dublin
--- the Dublin coroner mentioned by name in James Joyce
--- a mayor of Dublin who, when he wasn't being Mayor, ran a building company resonsible for building all those gorgeous fin de siecle buildings in central Dublin which are now embassies and the like
--- the person who was in charge of Uttar Pradesh (on behalf of the British govt) prior to India's independence; he went on to run Afghanistan then the suez canal  (plus ca change re foreign affairs, hey?!)
--- even other people in her tree whose achievements might be less well-known, moved in the circles where their names were regularly in the "court and social column" in the Irish Times
--- the family owned the house where WB Yeats family had lived
All the above are proven; unproven as yet, but I'm pretty certain it's true, are her relationship to Oscar Wilde (probably distant cousin) and descendence from the well-known (in their time!) "Ferocious O'Flahertys" who terrorised Galway 500 years ago :)

and me? FWK almost all the way!  :)
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: Thursday 08 July 10 08:44 BST (UK) »
Annie,
many years ago when I was bemoaning the fact.. that my life was 'mundane'  my OH replied, yes but there have to be 'leaflet distributors' in the world... without them the cogs wouldnt keep turning.... they are very important.

So your family is full of VIP's  as is mine... 

xin

Offline debbie1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: Thursday 08 July 10 20:08 BST (UK) »
not related,but still got a massive buzz when i found my great grandma on 1911 census.servant/housemaid to florence fiennes age 44 and her son ranulph aged 8.Living at 8 Buckingham Palace Gardens,Buckingham Palace Road,London.The Grandmother and Father of Ranulph Fiennes-Explorer.  :D
smith- marske yorkshire
guest-middlesex/kensington
vaughan-somerset/marske yorkshire
reah-durham,yorkshire

Offline watto3535

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 11:41 BST (UK) »
My 4x grandfather, who came from Stoke-by-Nayland, Suffolk/Essex married John Constable's sister. Personally, I can't paint a wall.

Colin
WATKINS - Greenwich/Deptford 1760-now
FITCHETT - Berks 1790
BARTHOLOMEW - Hants 1860
GOLDING - Essex/Greenwich

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 02:13 GMT (UK) »
A couple of days ago I found out that there was a local personality called Francis Jamieson (1823-1903) aka 'Fruncie Markis'. He was a famous athlete, musician, and general character.

Anyway, my greatx4 grandfather was called Francis Jamieson (1798-1875), was born and brought up in the same area as above. I thought that there was probably a connection so I set out trying to prove it.

Information from the internet told me who Funcie Markis' parents were - William Jamieson and Ann Urquhart. I then started looking for them. Finding Ann was rather easy. Upon seeing her date of death and seeing she was a widow, I tried looking for her husband's death, and all their census entries.

About an hour later I decided that proving the connection was going to be too difficult as I could find nothing - so I started closing down the various windows displaying the documents on Scotland's people. I was about to close the very first window I opened - Ann's death certificate - when I noticed her parents' names - Adam Urquhart and Isobel Shand....

Adam Urquhart and Isobel Shand are my greatx6 grandparents. So I was related to Fruncie Markis...I was just too pre-occupied with the Jamieson connection that I failed to recognise the obvious.

Anyway...to cut a long story short...Funcie Markis (1823-1903)...my 1st cousin removed 6 times :P :

PS. If anyone has an institutional access to the SCRAN website, please do let me know.
Strachan of Strichen/New Pitsligo - Connon of Turriff - Watt of Pennan - Noble of Broadsea -  Garden of Peterhead - Bryson of Ecclefechan