Poll

Have you found anyone famous in your family tree?

Yes
127 (39.7%)
No
106 (33.1%)
Not yet
87 (27.2%)

Total Members Voted: 316

Author Topic: Found Anyone Famous  (Read 90535 times)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Found Anyone Famous
« Reply #279 on: Saturday 05 September 20 08:33 BST (UK) »

Possibly Eleanor of Aquitaine, and the Plantagenet's through my Wilkinson's, but as a person of Scots descent being related to Edward I, is not a good thing, he was known as the "hammer of the Scots"  this is according to 'Family Search'

Andi

If it's any consolation, Andi, I believe it was only the Sassenachs who called him "malleus Scottorum" ... and as we all know, THEIR opinions hardly count for anything north of the Tweed!
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline ms_canuck

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: Saturday 05 September 20 17:26 BST (UK) »
My third cousin, 1x removed, John Albert Dykins - married Julia (Judy) Elizabeth Stanley in 1944.  They had two daughters.  However, Julia also had a son from a previous marriage called... John Winston Lennon... :)

That's the most famous person I've found so far.  Pop royalty even if not any actual royalty... LOL

Cheers all

Ms_C

1. Paul - Guernsey 1801
2. Ettenton / Eltenton - Guernsey 1806

Offline Mimble

• RootsChat Senior
  • Annie Louisa Jones of Aldon, great grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: Saturday 05 September 20 17:30 BST (UK) »
Another good question.   ;D

Reminds me of an earlier thread, Are you Related to Royalty:

http://www.rootschat.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3318.0

so far I have no distinguished ancestors,  lots of interesting ones though.  ;D

Kazza.

Is this thread still there? I can't get the link to work.
Morgan, Wilcox, Hulbert, Olive - Gloucestershire; Diggines, Gill, Rivers, Bull, Powell, Howell - Bristol; Hulley, Cawood - Yorkshire and South Africa; Stedman,  Hamar, Luther - Shropshire; Staddon, Rawle, Richards, Kemp -  West Somerset; Jones - Bettws, Montgomeryshire and Mainstone, Shropshire; Williams - Beguildy, Radnorshire; Coleman - Kent; Gradwell, Strickland - Lancashire;  Moodie -  Orkneys; Montgomery - Armagh, Down and Kildare; Parke - Kildare and Wicklow; Brangan - Bandon, Cork.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: Saturday 05 September 20 20:30 BST (UK) »

Possibly Eleanor of Aquitaine, and the Plantagenet's through my Wilkinson's, but as a person of Scots descent being related to Edward I, is not a good thing, he was known as the "hammer of the Scots"  this is according to 'Family Search'

Andi

But that means you also have Matilda of Scotland and her Father King Malcolm III in your line.

It also means that we are distant Cousins.

Thats true but Edward the first  :-[  and a connection with William the Conqueror etc

Theres just one Wilkinson I need to check out but it looks right

There is an internet article, trying to estimate the probability of a modern ENglish person being related to Edward III, Edward I's grandson.

http://community.dur.ac.uk/a.r.millard/genealogy/EdwardIIIDescent.php

The author's conclusion: there is an extremely high probability that a modern English person with predominantly English ancestry descends from Edward III, at a very minimum over 99%, and more likely very close to 100%. The number of descendants of Edward III must therefore include nearly all of the population of England, and probably much of the populations of the rest of the UK and Eire, as well as many millions in the USA, former British colonies and Europe, so 100 million seems a conservative estimate. Documenting one's own descent from Edward III is, however, another matter!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Andi R

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "Neither by chance nor fate"
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: Sunday 06 September 20 00:28 BST (UK) »
My fathers ancestory isnt predominately english, mine is but my dads isnt it is his mother the Wilkinson

But I dont doubt the amount of people related  to to the plantagenets, that makes perfect  sense, but it doest make mine any less, not that i can claim the throne

Im more pleased to be related distantly to the powerful women, such as Eleanor of Aquitaine and Matilda, than i am the kings

I have one Wilkinson connection to validate, but its not this leg thats my priority
Co Durham_and_Roxburgh_Rutherford
Hampshire_Nichols
Durham_Wilkinson
Roxburgh_Burns_Pringle
Northumberland/Durham_Thompson_Rutherford
Cumberland_Nichols_(Holliday_Jackson-Flimby_area)
Whitehaven_Swainson
Whitehaven_Dobbins_Nulty

guest189040

« Reply #284 on: Monday 07 September 20 13:42 BST (UK) »
Another good question.   ;D

Reminds me of an earlier thread, Are you Related to Royalty:

http://www.rootschat.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3318.0

so far I have no distinguished ancestors,  lots of interesting ones though.  ;D

Kazza.

Is this thread still there? I can't get the link to work.

Link does not work for me either.

But in answer to the

Are You Related to Royalty question.

We all probably are, it is a case of being lucky and finding the Gateway.

My own Gateway takes me though an interesting bunch to John of Gaunt and King Edward III and beyond.

Keep digging and you may find yours.

Actually I am more interested in putting all the names I have to my family photo you see as my Avatar.

Offline Mimble

• RootsChat Senior
  • Annie Louisa Jones of Aldon, great grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: Monday 07 September 20 16:11 BST (UK) »
Yes I have established that I have Joan Beaufort, John of Gaunt, Edward III in my Neville tree. She was married to Ralph Neville. Their son George Neville married Elizabeth Beauchamp (1417–1480), daughter of Richard de Beauchamp 13th earl of Warwick. I have been reading up on English medieval history to find out more about these fascinating times and people.

Biggles50 we may be related in another way too, as I have Stricklands in my tree too, from Light Hall in Colton, Lancashire.
Morgan, Wilcox, Hulbert, Olive - Gloucestershire; Diggines, Gill, Rivers, Bull, Powell, Howell - Bristol; Hulley, Cawood - Yorkshire and South Africa; Stedman,  Hamar, Luther - Shropshire; Staddon, Rawle, Richards, Kemp -  West Somerset; Jones - Bettws, Montgomeryshire and Mainstone, Shropshire; Williams - Beguildy, Radnorshire; Coleman - Kent; Gradwell, Strickland - Lancashire;  Moodie -  Orkneys; Montgomery - Armagh, Down and Kildare; Parke - Kildare and Wicklow; Brangan - Bandon, Cork.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: Monday 07 September 20 16:17 BST (UK) »
I am descended from John Hastings, 1st Baron Hastings. His wife Isabel de Valance was a second cousin of his. Their ancestry is mainly French Norman and some Irish. Aoife McMurrough of Leinster is Isabel De Valance's great, great grandmother.

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

guest189040

« Reply #287 on: Sunday 27 September 20 21:34 BST (UK) »
Having a Father born in Wales and his Mum had the maiden name of Evans I have always considered myself to be part Welsh, as my DNA now shows.

So when I found that I am descended from Owain Glyndwr my Family Tree was then complete.