Author Topic: Mary Alice Jenkins in Wales??????  (Read 3552 times)

Offline Kes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Mary Alice Jenkins in Wales??????
« on: Tuesday 31 August 04 22:41 BST (UK) »
My G.Grandmother moved to England, married there in 1868 and the only census I can find her on in 1901 she has helpfully put Wales as her place of birth! To add to that she has stated her age as 60 on the census and her death cert shows age 64 in 1912.
Her marriage cert states her Father is a stone carver and besides a strong belief that she had a twin sister that is all I have.
 Should I just give up? ???
Ainsworth, Jenkins, Smith, Brice, Russell and Clews.Kensington/Marylebone Areas.

Russell. East Sussex
Wheeler. East Sussex and Maidstone Kent

Jenkins.  Wales

Offline SS from The Rhondda

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Alice Jenkins in Wales??????
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 August 04 23:01 BST (UK) »
Don't give up...

What is her father's name ?
Is JENKINS her married name or maiden name ?

What is her age on the marriage cert ?

....I'm sure there are many on here who will gladly lookup available records to help in your search.

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Alice Jenkins in Wales??????
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 September 04 09:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,

you already know where she was married in 68. You also know where she was in 1901 and her address in 1912. Ideally these places will be the same, or at least in the same area.

With the offer posted elsewhere on this site for a free trial with ancestry.com, you can look up the 91 and 71 census, and then the 81 census using the LDS site.

The info gleaned from them should confirm her DOB and POB - hopefully something a bit more useful than just "Wales". Once you have a POB, you could mail the national library in Aberystwyth requesting info from the 51 and 61 census for this place. These should give you her parents (to confirm the entry on the marriage cert) and hence if there were any siblings. You could possibly then get the info from the 41 census if there is a chance that her parents were already married by then.

Going back further than that, your best bet is the parish registers (see relevant family history soc.). Another possibility, when you know where her father lived is the historical directories. As her father is a stone mason, there is a small chance that he will be listed. I've found addresses of several of my ancestors this way.

Hope this helps.

D ap D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II