Author Topic: John STIFF 1851 - ??  (Read 866 times)

Offline bwgan ceredig

• RootsChat Senior
  • They can 'do' 20 generations each!
    • View Profile
John STIFF 1851 - ??
« on: Sunday 13 November 05 16:50 GMT (UK) »
I give up :(  I have looked for him in the 1851 census until I am dizzy...can anyone else trace my elusive ancestor.  I have him in 1841 and 61 through to 1901, variously transcribed as stiff (correct) stift, triff and so on.

He was born in 1830 in Chipping Sodbury in Glos.  By 1858 he married Hannah Robbins and they were living with his father in Varteg, Trevethin district, Monmouthshire.  I believe he may have had another marriage in 1847, and if it is him he was living in the Trevethin area then.  But try as I might I can't find him in 1851  :-\- anyone got any ideas?? ;D :'(
Stiff - Monmouthshire & Glos, Parry - Monmouthshire
Stafford - Glos, Liles - Glos, Bright- Glos, Webb - Monmouthshire & Glos, Smart - Glos, Smith - Glos
Sullivan - Ireland, Jones (oh dear! Almost as bad as Smith), Walker - Somerset, Llewellyn
And, no don't laugh...Crump...I think it's great!

And of course, if I ever do manage to do a successful look up it is crown copyright and all that legal stuff!

Seriously Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Amanda4325

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John stiff 1851 - ??
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 September 06 15:59 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I hope you don't mind me replying to this message.  I was browsing through the site and noticed you are researching the surname Stiff.  This was my Gt grandmother's maiden name.  Have you come across any from Worcestershire?  This is where all my Stiffs are from and I can't seem to link them to anywhere else at the moment.
Don't worry if you can't help. 
Thanks & Regards
Amanda
Grosvenor - Rowley Regis
Stiff - Worcestershire
Wilson - Herefordshire

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
Re: John STIFF 1851 - ??
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 September 06 16:11 BST (UK) »
well, he's not using Chipping anything or England as a Pob in 1851 Wales or England .... whats his dads details ?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bwgan ceredig

• RootsChat Senior
  • They can 'do' 20 generations each!
    • View Profile
Re: John STIFF 1851 - ??
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 September 06 16:39 BST (UK) »
Hi to both ~ sorry I haven't responded before.  I haven't been able to be on the site in quite a while.

ScRoppers ~ His father was Samuel Stiff, borm 1797 and I have the family in '41 and '51 etc, just not John himself in '51...and believe me I have looked.  I think he just must be one that slipped under the net.  But thanks for trying, I was hoping that it was just me!

Amanda ~ Not got any Stiffs in Worcestershire, but a few could have 'emigrated'.  Suffolk seems to be where the greatest concentration are!

Got any more details?  I have quite a few in my tree and we may be able to find a link, although there aren't that many people researching the name.

(Correction to my original post - they were living on the Varteg wth her father not his.  Old Samuel never left Chipping Sodbury!)

Regards
Stiff - Monmouthshire & Glos, Parry - Monmouthshire
Stafford - Glos, Liles - Glos, Bright- Glos, Webb - Monmouthshire & Glos, Smart - Glos, Smith - Glos
Sullivan - Ireland, Jones (oh dear! Almost as bad as Smith), Walker - Somerset, Llewellyn
And, no don't laugh...Crump...I think it's great!

And of course, if I ever do manage to do a successful look up it is crown copyright and all that legal stuff!

Seriously Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk