Author Topic: often geting lost.  (Read 4381 times)

Offline junef

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
often geting lost.
« on: Wednesday 01 September 04 07:40 BST (UK) »
This site is terrific  and by far the best  I visit but wish I didnt get 'lost' so much.
Am I missing some easy rules for getting around?
Also would the moderators explain about the calender section please.Im not sure what its used for.
I wish I had a family crest to include. Now that would be something.
I 've had some great help from folk here.

all the best
June
Sydney.
Bartlett,Butcher,Earthe,Gordon,Evans,Hughes,Flaharty,Lear,Briggs.

Offline Clincher

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: often geting lost.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 September 04 11:05 BST (UK) »
G'day June, I think the calendar is for anyone to record their birthdate or any event which they want to publicise. I haven't used it myself.
I think I empathise with you about 'getting lost'. I find that if I do 'Common Room' and 'Beginners' and the 4 counties in which my roots are likely to be found that is as much as I have time for and I do them each day in sequence. I agree that this must be the best site going.

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 September 04 11:25 BST (UK) »
Hiya June,

I think the easiest way of avoiding getting lost is to just go back to where you started each time. If you press the "home" button, then it takes you back to the page with a list of all the counties on.

Also, you will notice the leaves and branches above the messages - you can click on the words next to the leaves to go back up the "tree" (it's difficult to explain!).

The branches also tell you what section you are in at the moment too (you will see this message is in the Common Room).

Also, if you saw a message, but can't remember where you saw it, you can use the "Search RootsChat" button and enter some words that you can remember from the message.

I hope that is of help to you, I'm not the best at explaining things!

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 September 04 12:53 BST (UK) »
My ancestors are scattered over several counties and I'm following threads on the boards for most of those counties. I find the 'General' view very helpful so that you can see if anyone has posted a message for that particular county's board recently without having to go into each board in turn.
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline junef

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 September 04 09:32 BST (UK) »
Hello again.
 I dont feel quite so dumb now. Even spotted the leaves and branches for the first time.
Ive had a little 'play' following your help and feel a lot more confident now.Thank you  Clincher, Trystan and Nick for such quick reply.

Have a great day.
June
Bartlett,Butcher,Earthe,Gordon,Evans,Hughes,Flaharty,Lear,Briggs.

Offline Su

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Every time an Angel smiles a flower grows
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 September 04 22:46 BST (UK) »
Hi June
I only joined the other day. See how thick I am, I can't even remember which day?  Anyhow, I was exactly the same, just couldn't fathom out what to do, nearly gave up, then click, the light switch went on, and now I feel really at home.  Everyone is lovely and will help you whenever you are stuck. Hope you enjoy the site as much as I am. Welcome.
Su
Barnett Altrincham/Manchester
Bates Hindley Lancs
Bowyer Altrincham Cheshire
Cunliffe Hindley
Hollingworth Hale Barnes/Mobberley Ches
Jones Salford/Altrincham
Ramsdale Hindley Lancs
Timperley Warburton/Dunham Massey
Yarwood Great Budworth,Lymm,Dumham Massey

All Census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 September 04 22:52 BST (UK) »
Su,

Thank you so much for your kind words - don't worry too much if you make a mistake or perhaps post something in the wrong place, we'll try and move things around for people the best we can - and if you get stuck then you can call for help.

We may be free, but we take a very active role to try and help everybody!

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Mars Barr

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 September 04 16:15 BST (UK) »
 ;D

I have found that if I note down on which board I have a message etc, then I hopefully know where to go, being a bit "do lally" in my old age, I do get a bit confused sometimes (my son would say I`m do lally all the time!! he is a cheeky begger!!)

think I added a message yesterday, but now cannot find where! so my system has gone a bit wonky (like me) perhaps I`ve put it on the wrong place? and its been shifted? never mind I`ll keep wadingthrough until I find it.

I still do not understand very much of what I call "technial computer talk" its still a bit of a mystery yet, but never mind, I`ll get there in the end (says me constantly shouting HELP to my son)
Think this is a smashingboard and I`m really enjoying it,
glad I found it. ;D ;D
Gartland (Canada)  Copeland (Derby & Leicester)  Barr (Greenock-Scotland)
Geoghan(Ireland)  Jarvis (Essex)

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 September 04 03:45 BST (UK) »
Mars Bar,

There are a few things you can do to help you find posts that have gone walkabout:

Use the Search Button.  all you need to do is enter a few words you are sure were in the message,  preferably rarer ones,  and you can also limit your search to certain boards to narrow it down.

View User Postings.  If you know it is a thread  that a certain person contributed to,  access their profile and select,  View Last Posts.

View 100 last posts.   If it was a recently replied to post,  click on the RootsChat logo,  and you will see the last 100 posts listed.

View your own posts.  If you contributed,  access your own profile and select View Last Posts.

Also,  from the index page of any board, once you've posted on a thread the 1st little icon on the left turns yellow, so you know which thread you've made a post in.

I hope this helps.  ;D

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.