Author Topic: thomas A Killen Augher, Clogher Tyrone 1800's  (Read 3168 times)

Offline carriefleming

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
thomas A Killen Augher, Clogher Tyrone 1800's
« on: Monday 14 November 05 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am researching my gggfather Thomas A. Killen who was born in Augher, Clogher, Tyrone on April 12, 1836. We know he had one older brother Robert born in 1816 in Clogher as well as a brother John born in 1833. These 3 emigrated to the US - to Iowa/Minnesota. We think there was one other George born in 1831 and several sisters of which we have no knowledge whatsoever.

We only recently discovered the Augher, Clogher link as my cousins were travelling in Iowa and found a copy of Thomas's obit. There is a family rumour that his body was returned to Ireland and buried there but we do not know if this is true (this would have been in 1902)

We know all of Thomas's descendents in the USA but are now searching for ancestors. If you know anything of the background to these Killens or of any descendents of  Robert or George Killen in the USA (john died) or can help point me to any areas to research we'd really appreciate it.

Offline JoM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: thomas A Killen Augher, Clogher Tyrone 1800's
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 March 06 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carrie
I have Killen in Augher - Mary bc 1828 married Liggett and Roseanne m Loane. Would be interested in your obituary and any other info you may have. Will be happy to exchange email addresses if you are interested.
I originally come from Augher/Clogher and now live in England - go back often - going back for a visit in a fortnight
 :)

Jo

Offline carriefleming

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 March 06 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi.
Would be happy to send obit etc. Am also in the uK (London). My email is (*). Am just checking in right now but if you email me privately with yours I'll send it later tonight.
Carrie Fleming

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline JoM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 March 06 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Carrie
Did my email reach you OK?
It was rejected first time and I re-sent it.
 :-*
Jo

Offline pensheba77

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 January 19 01:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi
You mentioned that you had a Killen marrying a Liggett.
I have a James Robinson Liggett who with partner Mary Killen ( I have not found a marriage) had 4 children.  William Liggett b 1856, Joseph Liggett b 1858, James Killen Liggett b 1860, then John b 16 Feb 1864, then Mary Liggett (nee Killen) died 3 March 1864 in Augher, Clogher, Tyrone.
I am new to Roots Chat and would love to find this marriage.
Thanking you
Joy Liggett

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 03:30 GMT (UK) »
If you go to this website
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

and look at the civil records you will find a reference to the marriage of George Killen from Clogher in 1855. There is an active programme of scanning the old records but some in the north have not been done yet though approval has been given  You may need buy the complete marriage certificate but hopefully it would give you a place to start.  Not sure when your people left Ireland but if it was after 1855 then a marriage and possibly children may have made George keen to stay behind or he may have been the son to whom the father handed down any land the family had.

I have found info about this marriage on FS

George Killen
Marriage   05 Jan 1855 Clogher, Clogher, Ireland

Father's Name   William Killen

Spouse's Name   Eliza Bell

Spouse's Father's Name   Thomas Bell

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 03:54 GMT (UK) »
On FS there is a record of a George Killen who left Ireland, emigrated to the US on 13/11/1855 on the Tonawanda.
The intriguing thing about this is that he appears to have been 'accompanied by Thomas' as the record says. Port of entry is Philadelphia.

Then there is an entry for George, Elizabeth and William Killen (baby) in 1860 census Sciota Township, Pickaway, Ohio, United States
NB the father of the George on Clogher marriage is William

In 1870 a George is in Wagner Clayton Co Iowa. he has Elizabeth, 8 year old Thomas born Ohio and 2 year old Emma born Iowa. He is a farmer and has real estate valued at $800.

1880 a George & Elizabeth  appear in  Dougherty, Cerro Gordo, Iowa, United States
1905 he completes Iowa state census 1905. He is widower, been in US 50 years and in Iowa for 40 years.   

Not sure if this is your guy?

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 04:39 GMT (UK) »
More about George & Elizabeth Bell Killen from Ireland to Ohio then Iowa
From FS
Dau Emma marries Samuel J. Hively 25/2/1886 Rockwell, Cerro Gordo, Iowa, United States.
Son Geo F marries    Mae Elliott (formerly Thompson) Clarion, Wright, Iowa, 23 Mar 1896

A possible son John Killen born 22/11/1860 in Philadelphia to Geo W Killen and Elizabeth
poss son dies James Killen, painter dies in NY on 1/1/1911. father is George and was born in ireland james born US in 1864
Stuart Killen, lodger in 1940 census in Morrow ohio born apx 1869. resided same place in 1935.

Looks like Elizabeth bell Killen died 6/7/1887 in Dougherty Twp.

I am sure that once you have checked this we could find some info about the Bell family from Clogher as well.