Author Topic: Henry Gunter  (Read 1713 times)

Offline rhosrobin56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Henry Gunter
« on: Tuesday 15 November 05 18:44 GMT (UK) »
can anybody help me ?
i am looking for the parents of a Henry Gunter born around 1854 in Wanborough Wilts
he is my G G Grandfather who is listed on the 1861 census as the grandson of William & Martha Gunter
William was the son of Richard & Hanna Gunter born in Wanborough 1807

any help would be gratefully appreciated

thanks
Helen

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Gunter
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 November 05 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen!

Welcome to Rootschat!

I can see your dilemma: there are a couple of Henrys born about the same time.

In 1851 the family of William & Martha are in the workhouse, presumably an older son is out there somewhere, as the ones with them are still at home in 1861 and too young to be fathers!

However, they are all born in Wanborough, so what you need is an 1841 look-up...

Anyone??

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline rhosrobin56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 November 05 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Arranroots

I,m really appreciate your quick reply!
I do know that William and Martha had 11 children
 Eliza b 1827
Mary b 1835
Harriet b 1839
Hannah b 1845
john b 1848
Joseph b 1849
They had 5 other that died in infancy
I guess its possible my gg grandfather Henry could be the son of one of the daughters ?
Guess I ll have to keep searching to solve the mystery
Thanks again for your help so far
Helen

Offline NigelG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 November 05 00:45 GMT (UK) »
In 1861 living about 2 houses away from William & Martha is a Mary Gunter,  unmarried, aged 24 born Wanborough, occupation recorded as general servant.

Also living with her is her daughter Emily Gunter age 1, also born Wanborough.
Could this be Henry's mother??

She is living in the household of Edmund & Sarah Haines (husband & wife) aged 37 & 45 - Fruiterers. Edmund born Bishopstone, Sarah born Thornbury, Glocs.
Davies, Edwards, Evans, Griffiths, Hughes, James, Jones, Morgan, Nicholas, Powell, Prytherch, Rees, Williams in Glamorgan, Brecon, PEM, CMN & MGY

Biddle, Budd, Clark/e, Davis/Davies, Elliott, Emery, Harper, Harris, Lloyd, Parsons, Phillips, Pitt, Reed/Reid/Read/Rhead, Rogers, Scandrett, Smith, Tyler & Waldron in Staffs, Worcs, Hef, Cheshire, Shrops., Middlesex & Surrey.

Cooghan/Coogan/Cogan - Castleblaney, Co Monaghan

Census Information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rhosrobin56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 November 05 06:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks NigelG
Your help is much appreciated
I found Mary on the 1881 Census listed as unmarried and working as Housekeeper for the Haines family of the Marsh Wanborough.so as you suggest it does sound possible that she could have been the mother of Henry.I was not aware that Mary had a daughter Emily.I guess I still have some mysteries to solve. I,m still very new to tracing my family .Do you think I should search for Henrys birth certificate next? Any advice would be much appreciated
Thanks again for your help again for your help so far
Helen

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 November 05 07:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Helen

It might be easier to look for Henry's marriage, especially if you know who he married. (Bear in mind, as noted above, there are at least 2 born around the same time).

The marriage cert would give his father's name and occupation, which should be enough to find him on censuses.  Although, if Henry was illegitimate (born to an unmarried Mary), his father's name might well be missing.

I have this dilemma with a family I am researching for a friend: no father on birth cert and the one on the marriage cert doesn't appear to exist!

Parish records of a baptism might solve the problem, but again if illegitimate he might just be recorded as "base child of Mary" or somesuch.

Have you got Henry on each of the censuses?

Another thought is that the grandparents might mention Henry or his parents in a will, which you can possibly find in the local record office.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline NigelG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 November 05 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm - just checked Mary in 1871 & 1881 and she is still living with the Haines family as Housekeeper but Emily is recorded as being Emily Haines on the 71 & 81 census.

She is clearly recorded as Emily Gunter, daughter of Mary Gunter on the 1861 census??

Did the Haines adopt Emily? Was Emily's father the Haines's son?

I checked the 1851 census for the Haines and just Edmund & Sarah recorded in the household - no children   ???
Davies, Edwards, Evans, Griffiths, Hughes, James, Jones, Morgan, Nicholas, Powell, Prytherch, Rees, Williams in Glamorgan, Brecon, PEM, CMN & MGY

Biddle, Budd, Clark/e, Davis/Davies, Elliott, Emery, Harper, Harris, Lloyd, Parsons, Phillips, Pitt, Reed/Reid/Read/Rhead, Rogers, Scandrett, Smith, Tyler & Waldron in Staffs, Worcs, Hef, Cheshire, Shrops., Middlesex & Surrey.

Cooghan/Coogan/Cogan - Castleblaney, Co Monaghan

Census Information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rhosrobin56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 November 05 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much again Arranroots
Your further advice is gratefully received
I do know that Henry was married to Eliza as is on 1901 census
Their children listed are definitely my grandmothers brothers and sisters.so I will try to trace Henry's parents again thorough the options you advised
Many thanks again for helping me to continue my quest i,m hooked well done !
Helen

Offline rhosrobin56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 November 05 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Nigel G
The plot thickens ! Not only am I tracing Henry Gunter my GGGrandfathers mother....who could be Mary ? and if so the possibility that Mary had a child Emily who could be a half sister ?I wonder if Birth certificates for both Henry and Emily will provide answer .Guess I,ve a lot more searching to do!
really appreciate all your time and help
regards
Helen