Author Topic: James DAVIDSON of Keith COMPLETED  (Read 28747 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: James DAVIDSON of Keith COMPLETED
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 16 February 12 18:48 GMT (UK) »

Is there any indication on SP of the date of death for Charlotte senr?
SP is extortionate!!!!

Don't knock it. Compared with England and Wales (currently £9.25 per certificate, and you have to send away for each one) SP is extremely good value. Or how about New Zealand where it's something like $30 per certificate? And in some parts of the USA you can't even get a certificate at all unless you can prove you are a close relative.

Why are you getting so many results? A search on SP for the death of Charlotte Davidson, other surname Joss, produced just one result, and a bit of narrowing down finds that she died aged 97 in 1947.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 16 February 12 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Oh Lord!  Seems James might have committed bigamy again .....  :o  ..... unless of course Charlotte divorced him .....   ???
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline walkingancestors

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 16 February 12 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Why are you getting so many results? A search on SP for the death of Charlotte Davidson, other surname Joss, produced just one result, and a bit of narrowing down finds that she died aged 97 in 1947.

Oh... I didn't extend past 1934..... and I'm still getting to grips with the search on SP....

I could spend a fortune...

It's the whole 1 credit to view the search results... then 5 credits to view an image that gets my goat... (Would be much better to have a subscription service..
Currently researching: DAVIDSON - Banff, Aberdeen, Leicestershire, Staffordshire, Northamptonshire, Monmouthshire

Offline walkingancestors

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 16 February 12 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Oh Lord!  Seems James committed bigamy again .....  :o  ..... unless of course Charlotte divorced him .....   ???

Wouldn't there then be a divorce case?  Hmmmm..... 

If there isn't, then why the heck did James and Elizabeth wait so long?

Hmmm... didn't I read somewhere that marriages could be dissolved after 7 years of no contact?
Currently researching: DAVIDSON - Banff, Aberdeen, Leicestershire, Staffordshire, Northamptonshire, Monmouthshire

Offline walkingancestors

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Thursday 16 February 12 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Well, there was no divorce on her part....

Charlotte Davidson married to James Davidson Tailor (Journeyman)
October 17th 1947, 9pm, @ Mackie Place, Peterhead
F, 97 years
Walter JOSS, ship carpenter, deceased/Isabella JOSS M.S. SANGSTER, deceased
Died from Senility
The Informant was Margaret A DAVIDSON (daughter in law and inmate - present) - James Lawson's Wife???

Meant to say - Thank you for finding Forfarian!! :D

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Thursday 16 February 12 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Many, many, thanks from me, too, Forfarian.  You've enabled us to lay a load of 'ghosts' and dismiss the fanciful folklore with which our Victorian and Edwardian ancestors shrouded our family history .....

By claiming to be a bachelor in 1934, James would not have been required to submit evidence of marital status.  He probably felt 'safe' from further exposure at that time of his life, whether or not he knew of Charlotte's continued existence.  Marriage to Elizabeth, albeit bigamous, was a small risk to take at the age of 76 for the woman who had stuck by him for 40 years and raised to adulthood 15 of his 20 known children!
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Thursday 16 February 12 20:53 GMT (UK) »
I have been reading this for a while...I am enthralled with the characters!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Thursday 16 February 12 22:14 GMT (UK) »
I could spend a fortune...
Would be much better to have a subscription service..

I agree, wholeheartedly. But even as it is it's still light years ahead of most other countries.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline walkingancestors

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Thursday 16 February 12 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Once I get used to it, I'm sure I'll be fine...

The indexes are fan-blinking-tastic in Scotland... Love the amount of detail held...

I had to keep reminding myself that civil registration didn't start until 1855...