Author Topic: Thomas Hood Bentley to Sydney late 19th c.  (Read 5211 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Hood Bentley to Sydney late 19th c.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 12 January 18 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello Marie

I have contacted you before about this Hood family, in the Newcastle upon Tyne / Tynemouth / area, Northumberland and you kindly responded, thank you.

Since then, I have tried to get a copy of the Will of Thomas HOOD BENTLEY, held in the Hong Kong University Special Collections.

The Deacons Law Firm of Hong Kong must have had dealings with the Will at some point, (or acquired the Will somehow).

The University Special Collections have responded to me in the UK and the Will is part of their Collections protected by Hong Kong Copyright Law. But it seems, I may see the Will in person under the provisions of the Hong Kong 'self service' rules by actually visiting Hong Kong in person.

Have you ever tried to get a copy (as you are in a different country to me), or were you told the same, or is this Will a new discovery to you?

----------

Lloyd's Captains' Register (from the British Newspaper Archive)

Regarding a List of Captains issued with Masters' Certificates by the Registrar General of Seaman during week ending 8 September 1888.
Port at which Examination took place - LONDON, THOMAS HOOD BENTLEY.

Thank you.

Kind regards Mark

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mark,

Sorry to have been a while replying - was away when you posted, and since getting home seem to have been really busy.

I wasn't aware of the will you refer to, though I must admit I haven't looked for a will for Thomas Hood Bentley.  Interesting that this will is in Hong Kong, since he spent roughly the last ten years of his life based in Sydney. I am now wondering if he made another will when he was in NSW, which would mean that the one you refer to is superseded.  I will have to try to check on that.

Sorry I can't be more help on this one.  My main mystery with this man was, and is, exactly how and when he and his family came to Australia.  Still haven't found a voyage for them!

Best wishes,

Marie
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 13:59 GMT (UK) »

Is this useful to you......

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/

West Coast Times 1 June 1904 p4
......Interview with Captain Bently......

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 20:35 GMT (UK) »

Is this useful to you......

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/

West Coast Times 1 June 1904 p4
......Interview with Captain Bently......

Thank you Marie and wivenhoe

Also try this link Marie to wivenhoe's newspaper find, it might take you straight to article, unless there is a website timeout.
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/WCT19040601.2.23?query=Bentley

Article mentions being in Hong Kong 18 months as a Superintendent of the Hongkong Whampoa Dock Company, a British company.

Mark

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 00:33 GMT (UK) »
wivenhoe, you little champ!!

I hadn't thought of searching NZ newspapers as I didn't think he had any connection with NZ.  I knew the basic facts behind the article, but the extra details, and his opinions on various things, are fascinating!  Thank you so much. 

Mark, thank you too for reviving this thread.  I have been thinking further about the will that is in Hong Kong.  He married while he was there (his bride came out from England to marry him) so it is highly likely that the making of the will was associated with his marriage.  (In previous searches I haven't managed to locate a marriage certificate for him).  Of course, two children came along, and he bought a very nice property in Sydney, so I feel sure he would have made a later will to take account of his family and his property. I just hope that it is in Sydney rather than in Taiwan, as it will probably be difficult to access a will there.

I will have a search around soon, and if I find any more information I will post it here.

Once again, thanks to you two good people.  Rootschatters really are the salt of the earth!! ;D

Kind regards,

Marie

Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 07:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marie,
    Since he died in NSW and had property in NSW I think his will was probably probated in NSW and/or have a copy of the Hong Kong proceedings.

I haven't found a probate notice on trove.   And it won't appear on the online probate index for NSW Archives as there is a gap 1891-1927.  However I can check the microfiche and photograph it (if there) for you next time I am there.

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 07:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ros,

That would be terrific, thank you!  When your post came in I was just searching on the NSW Archives site and had come to the conclusion that I wasn't going to find it on the indexes, so was thinking - where to next?  (I live in Queensland.)

He died on 5 August 1905.

No rush, but thank you very much in advance for looking!

Regards,

Marie

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 08:26 GMT (UK) »
A pleasure to help Marie  :)

Ros
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 12 February 18 06:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marie,
   I have photographed his will and probate.    Just sending you a pm with the link.

Ros