Author Topic: Ann Morris  (Read 25145 times)

Offline smcalpine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ann Morris
« on: Friday 18 November 05 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Anyone know anything about Ann Morris who married Joseph Hamstead [ born Truro in Cornwall?]

She was born in Castlerea Co Roscommon in the 1820s.

For some reason, Ann and Joseph changed their name to Escott at one stage in their lives then changed back again to Hamstead.

All information gladly received !!!!

Sue McAlpine Horner

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Morris
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 February 08 04:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sue

What denomination were Ann and Joseph? Were they  members of the Catholic faith, the Established Church (Anglicans or Church of Ireland), Methodists or Presbyterians?

You may have to rely on Church records as civil registration in Ireland was not introduced until 1864. Non Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 onwards. When registration for BDMS started in 1864 some people didn't bother with the registration for a few years after that date. Keep your fingers crossed that church records still exist.

If you've made no progress to date and you've not done so already a letter to the Editor of the Roscommon Herald might produce a result. Family history queries are occasionally published in local newspapers. www.roscommonherald.ie/general/contact.asp

Christopher

Offline twr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 November 09 21:36 GMT (UK) »
I'm also researching Joseph HAMSTEAD and Ann MORRIS / MORRIES and like you, am stuck at this point but I have no evidence of their temporary change of name.    Did you get any further?   Can we swap any notes so far?

All I've got is:
1861 CENSUS [Rotherham, S. Yorkshire]
Joseph HAMSTEAD FAMILY:   38, Orchard Yard, Rotherham [Folio R9/3506/F?]

Joseph: Head 32y Labourer at Iron Works. b.1829, Philley, Cornwall
Ann        : Wife 30   b.1831, Ireland
Elizabeth  Dau    9   b.1852 Ashton Under Lyne, Lancs
Peter        Son    8   b.1853 Ashton Under Lyne, Lancs
Mary         Dau    6   b.1855 Ashton Under Lyne, Lancs
Ann          Dau    4   b.1857 Rotherham, Yorkshire
Thomas    Son  10m  b.1860 Rotherham, Yorkshire
Ann KELLEY    17  Boarder. works at factory. b. 1844 Ireland

Trevor

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 November 09 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. Sue hasn't been online since April 2009 but perhaps she'll soon see your message and get in touch. You need to make 3 posts to use PM (personal message) system but I'll send her a PM asking her to check this thread again.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline twr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 November 09 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks.

Trevor

Offline smcalpine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tevor!

I would be happy to share what I have with you - I have the Hamstead/Escott line back to the 1500s and some info about Annie Morris parents but as yet, no reason for the name change.

Joseph/Annie were my great, great, great grandparents. What relationship were they to you? I have a photo of them I can pass on but am at work at moment so will need to wait till I get home

Sue

Offline twr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,

The HAMSTEADs are my wife's ancestors.  Her line is *** grandmother Florence HAMSTEAD 1889; Gt. Gf Peter HAMSTEAD 1853; 2x Gt Gf JoSeph HAMSTEAD 1829.

I have very few photos as my wife's father, John DRIVER, was brought up by relatives when his mother died shortly after childbirth.   I have no photos or artefacts on any HAMSTEAD or GUEST.

I can send you a DRIVER - GUEST - HAMSTEAD  tree or Family History but don't know how to do so using this site.   My e-mail address is (*) if you wish to correspond directly.       

I have loads of information on my main interest - the RUSHBYs - if you can make a connection.

Trevor

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

*** details of possible living people also removed. Please see Posting Guidelines in Help Pages

Offline jane weston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 February 10 23:07 GMT (UK) »
my father's great great grandfather was Joseph Hamstead of Rptherham, his great grandfather was Peter Hamstead and his father was George.  My Dad, Peter Murray,  died last July in Maryland, USA, I know very little about the family history

Trevor, I think that Florence might have been George's sister
I also know that Joseph Hamstead was originally Joseph Escott from Cornwall
I hope tp hear from one of you

Jane

please

Offline smcalpine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 February 10 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane - great to hear from you. I now have Hamstead / Escott history back to the 1500 and another branch along that line to the 1400s that I will be happy to share.

I am at work at the moment so can't attach the photo I have of Joseph Hamstead/Annie Morris but will do so when I get home

Sue