Author Topic: Workhouse Births, Deaths at Heckingham  (Read 11412 times)

Offline rogerbc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Workhouse Births, Deaths at Heckingham
« on: Monday 21 November 05 05:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I`ve transcribed the Birth and death registers for the Loddon and Clavering union workhouse at Heckingham.
Willing to do lookups.
Please no blanket searches, ie John smith, unless a specific parish is given.

Regards Roger cook
Armon Arman Armond Almond Bowen Bohun Flint Shingles Mealham Burgess Adams Bunn Cook Woodrow (Norfolk)
Woodrow Cook Barnard Rusted Godfrey Houghton Ayers (Suffolk)

Offline Nadine44

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Workhouse Births, Deaths at Heckingham (Susan Skipper)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 October 10 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger

Thanks for the offer of lookups in your transcription.  I would like to find out a bit more about the death of Susan SKIPPER who I think may have died in the Loddon & Clavering Union Workhouse.

According to the 1901 census Susan was an inmate in the Workhouse, aged 73 and a widow, born in Holme Hale.

The 1911 Workhouse census shows her listed as Swan Skipper (a transcription error I'm sure), aged 83, a widow, born in Holme Hale.

Susan was born Susan Ollett in Holme Hale in 1828 (baptised 1st Feb 1828). She married John Skipper in 1852.  John died in 1888.

I have found a death of a Susan Skipper aged 85 registered in JAS 1912 in Loddon 4B 210.  I feel sure this is "my" Susan Skipper but am left wondering where she would have been buried had she died in the workhouse.

Hope you can help.

Nadine
Mullenger (Tivetshall St Margaret)
Howarth
Skipper (Kirby Cane and Holme Hale)
Grice (family of Mary Anne Grice, born circa 1820)
Mason, Child, Newman, Ollett, Turner, Heyhoe, Law

Offline rogerbc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Workhouse Births, Deaths at Heckingham
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 October 10 20:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Nadine.

Susan Skipper of the parish of kirby cane  buried 03.10.1912 85yrs old.

regards roger
Armon Arman Armond Almond Bowen Bohun Flint Shingles Mealham Burgess Adams Bunn Cook Woodrow (Norfolk)
Woodrow Cook Barnard Rusted Godfrey Houghton Ayers (Suffolk)

Offline horanps

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 October 10 05:27 BST (UK) »
That is really interesting.  Do you know where I can find records of inmates?  I have Charles Kemp and family residing there in the 1851 Census.  I would like to find out when he arrived there and when the family left.   Sally

Offline westys

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 09:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I`ve transcribed the Birth and death registers for the Loddon and Clavering union workhouse at Heckingham.
Willing to do lookups.

Regards Roger cook
Hi Roger, i wonder if you could do a search for me for the brother and sisters of my great grandmother, she was Mary Ann Spratt and her and her brother and sisters, Adelaide Spratt (born approx 1849) Alice Spratt (born apx 1860) and Lewis Spratt (born apx 1864)are all on the 1871 census from the workhouse, although Mary ann is spelt Marianne.
  Their births on the census are all listed as Bedingham and Adelaide is listed as ???? from birth but i am not sure what, i would like to know if they were born in the workhouse and if they died there as apart from my grandmother i cant find them again after 1871.
  I am sorry thats all i have to go on and any information would be much appreciated
regards
Keith

Offline SWEBB

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 13:14 BST (UK) »
There is a burial ground within workhouse grounds...although no markers of it..Have you walked around the workhouse, as it still stands..although its going to be converted into residential units soon, it still looks the same ..
Gaze,Flatman, Balls,Nichols,Graver,Gates -Norfolk

Offline John43

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 January 12 21:57 GMT (UK) »
My great grandfather, Amos Bottrill, was illigitimate and born at Toft Monks, Norfolk, on the 20th May 1854 (date not very clear on birth cert. but registration definitely on 27th May 1854). His mother was Mary Bottrill. Her family all lived at the village of North Kilworth in Leicestershire. I assume she was sent away to have the baby. I do not know what happened to her after she had Amos but thought it might just be possible she was in the workhouse at Heckingham.

The birth was registered in the District of Loddon, Sub-district Aldeby.

Offline horanps

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 January 12 00:40 GMT (UK) »
    My family were in the Heckingham Workhouse at the time of the 1851 Census - Charles Kemp, his wife Maria (Lodge) and children Mary Ann, Ellen and Alfred.  Alfred is shown as being 1 year of age, so he may have been born in the workhouse.  Charles had been an agricultural labourer.  He died in 1857.

Sally

Offline Patriciad

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 August 15 01:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

Willing to do lookups.

Regards Roger cook
Hi Roger, i wonder if you could do a search for me for the brother and sisters of my great grandmother, she was Mary Ann Spratt and her and her brother and sisters, Adelaide Spratt (born approx 1849) Alice Spratt (born apx 1860) and Lewis Spratt (born apx 1864)are all on the 1871 census from the workhouse, although Mary ann is spelt Marianne.
  Their births on the census are all listed as Bedingham and Adelaide is listed as ???? from birth but i am not sure what, i would like to know if they were born in the workhouse and if they died there as apart from my grandmother i cant find them again after 1871.
  I am sorry thats all i have to go on and any information would be much appreciated
regards
Keith

Hi, I believe we are distantly related. I too am related to Adelaide Spratt and her mother was my great great grandmother on my paternal side,

Your Sincerely

Trish