Author Topic: Haddington marriage 1849  (Read 3991 times)

Offline sinned

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Haddington marriage 1849
« on: Monday 21 November 05 15:15 GMT (UK) »

Hello.

I would like to know how I can obtain the marriage record for a Sarah Perkins and George Gallpen which took place on May 5, 1849.

Sincerely.

Offline neleh_22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Haddington marriage 1849
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Have you tried the scotlands people site  you have to pay for it but it's worth a look
Whitelaw in East Lothian and Glasgow

Offline sinned

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 17:00 GMT (UK) »

Hello,

Thank you for the reply :)

Scotlandspeople does not have records online prior to 1855.

All the best

Offline neleh_22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 November 05 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  I am going to Park Circus on Thursday I will look there for you if there is anything there I will let you know.  Helen
Whitelaw in East Lothian and Glasgow

Offline ADP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 November 05 00:59 GMT (UK) »
As this marriage is pre-1855, it should be in the Old Parochial Records, to be found on microfilm.

This microfilm is unlikely to be in Park Circus, Glasgow (their on-site records are mostlly from the former Strathclyde Region counties). It should be available in New Register House, the SGS Library and the Central Library (all Edinburgh), the Local studies section of Haddington Library, and able to be ordered in to any Latter Day Saints Family History Centre.

ADP

Offline habanero

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 November 05 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The marriage should be on the OPR section of scotlandspeople and it should give you the option to order a copy of the OPR but be warned, the pre-1855 records often give very little information, usually just a reading of the banns. They don't often give parents names.

However, if either person in the marriage died post 1855, you can view their death cert on scotlandspeople and the entry will give the name of the deceased's parents (unlike the English records) and occupations as well as if the parents are deceased or alive. This should allow you to go further back

Regards
Grant, Charters, Knowles, Blanch, Robson, Ward, Maughan, Adams, Griffin, Lucas, Ansell, Lumsden