Author Topic: Davis Mansions  (Read 2711 times)

Offline kamakaziken

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Davis Mansions
« on: Wednesday 23 November 05 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
not sure if this is the right section for this question but please be nice if I have made a mistake.

I have found that my G-grandfathers sister (Deborah Foot) married a Saul Solomons. the 1901 census shows them and their children living at 86 Davis Mansions.  Whitechapel. The ecclesiastical area comes under St.Jude.
My question is how do I find the name of the street where Davis Mansions were and if the street still exists?

Thanks for help.

Ken
Foot(Spitalfields)  Newing (Kent) Solomons(Spitalfields) Smith/Jarvis/Making (Lavenham Suffolk),   Heard, Ridgers, Rogers, Trevenen,(Tredeger) Van der Molen (Amsterdam) Voet (Amsterdam)

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: Davis Mansions
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Looking along the area where the enumerator has been gives
Goulston Street, Aldgate Distillery
New Goulston Street
and then Davis Mansions start at 18 New Goulston Street.

It runs parallel with Middlesex Street in E1 and if you go to www.streetmap.co.uk and enter Goulston Street it will bring up the map.

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline kamakaziken

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Mary. This makes perfect sense, Deborah's parents were resident in Fashion Street in 1901 just round the corner from New Gaulston Street.

All I need to do now is try and find some decendents of the Solomons.

Thanks again.
Ken
Foot(Spitalfields)  Newing (Kent) Solomons(Spitalfields) Smith/Jarvis/Making (Lavenham Suffolk),   Heard, Ridgers, Rogers, Trevenen,(Tredeger) Van der Molen (Amsterdam) Voet (Amsterdam)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 17:44 GMT (UK) »
(Don't mind the un-PC language!)

The Times, Monday, Aug 02, 1897; pg. 10; Issue 35271; col D
(about a water famine in Stepney and Whitechapel)

In New Goulston-street we met a Jewess with a bucketful of water which she bitterly complained had to be carried up a narrow and dark staircase to the top floor of Davis-mansions; these mansions are filled up with some 1,000 Jews.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Isn't that just great to get a bit of first hand news like that, good for you jorose.

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline kamakaziken

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 November 05 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Jorose
thats fantastic, thank you,
its difficult to imagine the level of poverty our ancestors lived in. I just have to try and find a photo of these "Mansions"
(strange the picture that the word "mansions" forms, and how your imagination can play trick with you,)
 Thanks again Jorose. Ken 

Offline ucgidget

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 September 21 17:39 BST (UK) »
I know this post is old but Ken if you are still out there I am a descendant of a "Solomons" who was born in the Davis Mansions (I think) in the early 1900s.

Thank you so much Mary. This makes perfect sense, Deborah's parents were resident in Fashion Street in 1901 just round the corner from New Gaulston Street.

All I need to do now is try and find some decendents of the Solomons.

Thanks again.
Ken