Author Topic: Information please on Jones in Greenfields.  (Read 3212 times)

Offline robertjarvis99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Information please on Jones in Greenfields.
« on: Thursday 24 November 05 16:00 GMT (UK) »
My Gt Grandfather Francis William Jones was born on the 23/8/1869 at Greenfields, Macleay River District, NSW and migrated back to the UK. Can any one tell me where exactly is Greenfields and how can I find out more about the place?

My GG Grandparents John and Charlotte Jones emigrated to Australia some time after their marriage in Liverpool UK in April 1865. I have been unable to trace them on any shipping list whether voluntary or forced between 1865 and 1869, does anyone have any ideas where I can look to trace them.

They lived in Greenfields from 1869 to at least 1871 when they had a second child Thomas H. Is there any way I can find details of their life or presence in this locale and what happened to them?

Robert Jarvis

Offline gennig

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Information please on Jones in Greenfields.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 November 05 21:49 GMT (UK) »

Macleay River Historical Society may be able to help.

http://www.archivists.org.au/directory/data/104.htm

Cheers

Genni
All census look up transcriptions are Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames:
Armstrong, Gray, Greco, Lambden, Le Busque, Beaton, Carron, Pitt, Gould
Areas:
Victoria, Tasmania, Hampshire, Berkshire, Yorkshire, Fermanagh, Glamorgan

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 November 05 05:34 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure how much you already know - the main town on the Macleay River is Kempsey, but there are numerous smaller towns/villages surrounding same. Many of my family came from the district but I have not heard of "Greenfields".
I have a booklet on the churches of the lower Macleay (My g grandfather was a preacher there) but there is no sign of Greenfields.

Genni's link may be the best option. The society run an historical museum which is located on the outskirts of Kempsey coming from the South.

Did all of the family return to England? There are a large number of births to John and Charlotte Jones around that time, but only two in Macleay District. Could they have moved elsewhere?

I cannot easily see them on the assisted immigrants lists - They did perhaps pay for their fare. (Too late to be NSW Convicts) There are unassisted indexes available in many libraries throughout NSW (and a few in other states).

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline robertjarvis99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 November 05 07:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for the help.

Trish, Greenfields is quoted as the place of birth on the copy of the birth registration obtained for me. After that it refers to the Mcleay River District and that is the exact spelling but in the download from NSW bmd it does call the place Macleay River District.

Perhaps Greenfields was the name of a homestead!

Robert

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 November 05 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robert

It could well have been / still is a small settlement/village - or as you say the name of a property. The District within NSW would presumably cover all areas around the Macleay. I have a couple of 2nd/3rd cousins that I correspond with in the area (snail  mail) so will ask if they have heard of it - you will probably have it sorted before I get a reply  ;D

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline robertjarvis99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 November 05 14:16 GMT (UK) »
I did some more checking and now I believe that they all returned to the UK in 1874.

So they could not for some reason stick it out as settlers, just as well as I would not be typing this!

Still would like to find out a bit more of their stay in NSW though.

Robert