Author Topic: Whats a noggin??Binge drinking  (Read 1526 times)

Offline Andrew R

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "Neither by chance nor fate"
    • View Profile
Whats a noggin??Binge drinking
« on: Friday 25 November 05 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Seriously I have came across a piece of information from the 17th century about a possible relation, it mentions a "noggin" what was a noggin?

Quote " these three youths were all sober and in good health:  and about twelve o'th Clocke o'th nighte; they made a bett:  that if this Bernard Swaineson coulde drinke of nyne NOGGINS of brandy : then Will Braithwaite and Will Stamper was to pay for them"

shortly after it mentions

" Bernard drunke of those nyne NOGGINS of brandy quickly: and shortly after fell downe on the floore and was carried to his bed where hee layde two and twenty houres dureinge which tyme he coulde never speake: noe nor never did knowe anybody though many came to see him and soe he died. "

Binge drinking a new thing?? ?? ??  But whats a noggin?? ??

Andrew
Co Durham_and_Roxburgh_Rutherford
Hampshire_Nichols
Durham_Wilkinson
Roxburgh_Burns_Pringle
Northumberland/Durham_Thompson_Rutherford
Cumberland_Nichols_(Holliday_Jackson-Flimby_area)
Whitehaven_Swainson
Whitehaven_Dobbins_Nulty

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline cep

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Whats a noggin??Binge drinking
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 November 05 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline alcrighton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 November 05 19:01 GMT (UK) »
A noggin was a small wooden cup used for serving drinks in Taverns.  The only reference to its size I can fin says that it was equivalent to half a cup so 4 fluid ounces.

This means than 9 Noggins would have been just over a litre of Brandy which was apparently too much for him. Wimp!   ;)

CEP just posted while I was typing this.  If a Noggin was a quarter of an Imperial Pint, 5 fluid ounces then 9 Noggins would have been about 1.3 litres or a bit more than a bottle and a half.  Enough to cuase alcohol poisoning :o

Al
Crighton, Dundee & London<br />Woodgates, Bath, Devon & London<br />Curtis, Nottinghamshire & Islington<br />Maker, Cornwall & London<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Andrew R

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 November 05 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, why this report is in the parish registers, I find strange but I suppose they would have had to be a sort of inquest

doesn't give an age either shame

What worries me is this is the third reference to certain ancestors of mine I have found in history books that relates to Drink or "Inveterate Drunkard"

I wonder if I could use it as an excuse if I ever get arrested " Sorry ossiffer, its a family trait and in my blood" or "family tradition"

thanx for the link as well I'll find that usefull

Some bet cost his life
Hampshire_Nichols
Durham_Wilkinson
Roxburgh_Burns_Pringle
Whitehaven_Swainson
Whitehaven_Dobbins_Nulty

Offline trellisick

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 November 05 00:27 GMT (UK) »
alchrighton is spot on it is a quarter of a pint, a noggin of ale, take me drunk im home
KUHNELL, prussia, germany, australia. TAYLOR, easton in gordano, penmark, essex. barry, glamorgan. HILL, southampton, barry, glamorgan.

Offline Andrew R

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 November 05 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Some pile of spirit to drink though, I'll stick to bitter, or Gin, the odd brandy but over a litre in a short period, not suprised he couldn't talk

Andrew
Hampshire_Nichols
Durham_Wilkinson
Roxburgh_Burns_Pringle
Whitehaven_Swainson
Whitehaven_Dobbins_Nulty

Offline Suttonrog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 November 05 01:12 GMT (UK) »
It is actually quite a feat! Don't forget that today brandy is 40% back then it could have been "cask strength", depending on how it was adulterated.

I'm not suprised that he couldn't speak.