Author Topic: Help needed Troqueer  (Read 5073 times)

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
Help needed Troqueer
« on: Saturday 26 November 05 04:56 GMT (UK) »
I am going round in circles. Can someone help me please. I do not have access to S.P. Yet (Top of Xmas list) I am trying to find the parents of David McBurnie Laurie my 2x great uncle. He was b 1832 in Parish Troqueer,Dumfrieshire,Scotland.
I think his parents are John Laurie/Lawrie and Marey ?
If anyone can help i would be most grateful
                        Regards
                                Carol in NZ
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed Troqueer
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 November 05 01:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol in far NZ
Have you tried the local site for the 1851 census. The Dumfries folk have transcribed the census for the whole of the current Dumfries region. Its at dumgal.gov.uk. 

It takes a little getting used to it but if you key in one name and get a hit ( maybe even 2 or 3!) note down the address and number then amend your search to include these. That should bring up the whole household. David may be still living at home although I doubt it. All my male relatives from that part of the country seemed to move out aged 15 or 16 to farms miles away. If you have any of his younger siblings names that would narrow down the search.
FreeCen are currently working on the 1841 census but I don't think they have completd down there yet.
Good luck with your search
Runner
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 November 05 01:54 GMT (UK) »
They moved to Leeds between 1832 and 1835 when their daugther was born. I need to check Marey's surname.
                           Regards
                                    Carol

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
and many more.

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 November 05 02:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol
Relatives had no consideration for future generations did they?

Scotland people might not help much anyway if the images are as poor and unintelligible as some I have found. The spelling of surnames back then was very variable. I have one record where the same name has been spelled 4 different ways and that was 20 years later than yours, by a Registrar!  The mothers surname was not always recorded which is why IGI can show records with only the father's name showing. It makes it very frustrating. Best bet would be to find a death record for one of the children which may give more. Pity they didn't stay in Scotland. Our certificates after 1855 have so much more info on them.
Wish you luck
Runner
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 November 05 02:27 GMT (UK) »
I Know the father was John Laurie/Lawrie. According to my Mums Family the mother was Marey/Mary Johnstone/Johnston/Jonston etc. So i will have to send for a death cert as you say. I may send for Mary's as that may give her parents names as well. But that will not help with the spelling.My problem is i like to see things written down before i go to far.
Thank -you for your time.
               Regards Carol

and many more.

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 November 05 03:52 GMT (UK) »
Carol,

You can do a free search on ScotlandsPeople - you need to register but that costs nothing.

A free search for David McBurnie LAWRIE in 1832 in Troqueer gets one hit.  You would then need to purchase credits (minimum purchase costs only six pounds).  However, you would only be able to see what is in the index - this was, of course, before the start of Statutory Registration in Scotland, and images of entries in the Old Parish Registers are not yet available on SP.

I notice that the relevant IGI batch for Troqueer, Kircudbrightshire - C118825 - is one of those infuriating batches where only the girls have been extracted into the online IGI. 

If you can get to your nearest Latter Day Saints Family History centre (locations can be found on the FamilySearch website) you should be able to look at the Scottish Church Records CD there - it will include the boys as well.

Incidentally, the parish was in Kircudbrightshire; see Genuki at:
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/KKD/Troqueer/index.html

JAP

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 November 05 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for the link to the 1851 census - having only a couple of relations (as yet!) north of the border I didn't think is was worth my while going to Scotspeople until I found out more!

One of my lot married a McBurnie - from Troqueer - so perhaps....

Have a look here Carol:
http://batemans-history.rootschat.net/mcburnieandpartingtons.htm  - or
http://batemans-history.rootschat.net/i9.htm#200

I have had correspondence from a McBurnie in Canada - a relation - which is why there are over 50 on my site!!

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails