Author Topic: New York arrivals 1920s  (Read 1041 times)

Offline kat2004

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Fred and Harry Miller 1932
    • View Profile
New York arrivals 1920s
« on: Saturday 26 November 05 18:36 GMT (UK) »
In bout 1924 my G grandad William Miller set off ahead of his family to make a new like in th USA. He shipped from Liverpool and docked in New York. My great uncle is still alive and I get quit a lot of information from him, well he says that grandad didnt go through Ellis Island because he was expected? Apparentley his friend had gone to the USA earlier and found grandad work and a  place to stayso he didnt go throuigh emigration. How likely does this sound?
Williams wife and chidren followed in about 1925 and they are on the 1930 census in Delaware county. I'd hate to think my rellies sneaked in th back door!

If this is true and they didnt go through Ellis Island, where will i find their passenger records? The children and wife returned to England in 1931 after the family split up, William died in 1939 in CHester town, Delaware county.
Miller family -Staffordshire, Leicestishire Cumberland,Pennysylvania.Auckland.
Hill family- Northumberland,Durham, Cumberland.
Woodward- Staffordshire.
Roberts- Flintshire, Cumberland
Fisher Cumberland, Lancashire
Taylor Cumberland, Lancashire,Durham

Offline kat2004

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Fred and Harry Miller 1932
    • View Profile
Re: New York arrivals 1920s
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 November 05 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Please excuse my above spelling, I rushed it! :)
Miller family -Staffordshire, Leicestishire Cumberland,Pennysylvania.Auckland.
Hill family- Northumberland,Durham, Cumberland.
Woodward- Staffordshire.
Roberts- Flintshire, Cumberland
Fisher Cumberland, Lancashire
Taylor Cumberland, Lancashire,Durham

Offline eillo

• RootsChat Senior
  • 2x G-Gma Sarah Page Simpso born Chilham Kent 1836
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 November 05 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello kat2004,

Ellis Island was the processing station for immigrants at New York port from 1892-1924 If your ancestor sailed into NY anytime in 1924 he will be on the ships passenger lists for that time period.

The only passengers whose name will not be found on Ellis Island are those who sailed first or 2nd class during specific time periods.

Ffrom about June 15th 1897 until approx. March or April 1903, the lists for first class and
second class passengers were not collected at Ellis Island and do not survive, so therefore will not appear on microfilm, nor in the Ellis Island online database.

Since your ancestor came in 1924, the IF he came in through NY he will be Ellis Island records.
You should use Steve Morse's one-step search engine to search this set of records, at http://stevemorse.org/

There is a quick tutorial on how best to use the search engines at http://olivetreegenealogy.blogspot.com/

Click on "Oddities of Searching Ellis Island! What have you found? "

Of course if he didn't sail into NY then he won't be in the Ellis Island database and you will have to search microfilmed indexes for the other ports of arrival in USA. You can get a list of film numbers (NARA & FHC) at
http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/nara_indexbyport.shtml

Scroll down to the state you want and click on the link,then find the film # you need, then decide whether to order it in to a nearby FHC or have NARA do a lookup.

The staff of the National Archives will undertake a search of the original records for a fee.

btw there are more than 100  men named William Miller on the Ellis ISland database arriving 1924. You need to tell us more details - his date of birth and where born if you want more help :)

Good luck.

Simpson, Fuller, Page, Stead, Caspall, Philpott, Williams, Elvery, Whibley, Fryer/Friar, Sutton, Grant, Allard, Packman, Steadman, Norris, Drury, Boughton, Spratt, Munday, Rabbit, Wildbore

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 November 05 17:16 GMT (UK) »
If you're having trouble finding him on the ship lists, another way to get this info would be naturalization records:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/aboutus/history/natzrec/natrec.htm

His Petition for Naturalization should give emigration details.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline eillo

• RootsChat Senior
  • 2x G-Gma Sarah Page Simpso born Chilham Kent 1836
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 November 05 18:48 GMT (UK) »
A site that has actual naturalization records online, plus links to records on other sites -- is http://naturalizationrecords.com/usa/
Simpson, Fuller, Page, Stead, Caspall, Philpott, Williams, Elvery, Whibley, Fryer/Friar, Sutton, Grant, Allard, Packman, Steadman, Norris, Drury, Boughton, Spratt, Munday, Rabbit, Wildbore