Author Topic: city cemetry photograph  (Read 6377 times)

Offline gill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
city cemetry photograph
« on: Sunday 27 November 05 00:02 GMT (UK) »
is there anyone residing in Derry, who would be willing to visit the city cemetry for me?
i am keen to learn if there is a headstone on a certain grave, and if there is to photograph this for me, keen to learn what the inscription would say and who is buried there. the grave is in ..............section M,  class D,   plot 514, the name on headstone (if there is one) should be James McGavigan.

many thanks,   gillian
Anderson in Ireland - Renfrewshire
Skene / Skean/ Skeen in Midlothian
Dow in Stirling, midlothian, Renfrewshire
McIlmoil / McIlmoyle in Antrim, Renfrewshire
McGaffigan / McGavigan, McNulty, Murphy Kennedy Hogg and Gamble in Londonderry
Paterson / Patterson, Eaglesham / Eaglesome in Ayrshire
MacPherson , MacLeod, Gillies in Sleat, Invernesshire
Cornfoot, Hogg, Grubb, Ramsay, Auchterlonie in Fife
Neilson, OHara, Baillie in Paisley

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: city cemetry photograph
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 November 05 16:51 GMT (UK) »
hello gill, i can go to the city cemetry for you, is all the details i need on your message. i can send the photo to you by email.we can arrange that later.

kind regards
                                           mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline gill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Mary, that would be wonderful if you can manage to visit the cit cemetry for me, and photograph the headstone if there is one.  The details of the grave number are on my posting, and the plot belongs to a James McGavigan.. i am interested to find out who else is buried in this plot.

many thanks, gill

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 20:46 GMT (UK) »
hello again gill,  sorry but no headstone on that grave, but i managed to find out who is buried there.

james mc gavigan age 1yr. dod 16-12-1913 he lived at 40 ferguson st. his parents james +elizabeth mc gavigan.  the next one is james mc gavigan age 65yrs dod 22-5-1959 his address 1 sloans tce.parents john +annie mc gavigan. the last one is elizabeth mc gavigan age 77yrs. dod 30-3-1962 her address 40 ferguson st. her parents james+mary murphy.

hope this is helpful. by the way where do you live?.

kind regards mary.
doolin?
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline gill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 December 05 12:17 GMT (UK) »
mary, thanks ver much for taking the time to find this information for me.

I already knew of the three who were buried there,  but you have given me more information to work with.

the address 1 sloans terrace is a new one to me. i have a copy of the older james mcgavigans death cert, and his place of death is recorded as being at waterside hospital, his usual address being 40 ferguson street.... so  were sloans terrace fits in im not quite sure.

also i had no previous knowledge of who his wife, elizabeth murphys parents were. so that is  new, and gives me a new branch to try to work on.

i had hoped to find another elizabeth mcgavigan (nee mccormack) aged approx 25 buried with them.  she was the first wife of my grandfather, thomas mcgavigan. she died sometime soon after january 1935. it is believed that she got tb after the birth of their third child and died soon after. however no one knows exactly where or when she died or even where she is buried...........infact not a lot is know about her.  i have been trying to find out this infomation as a matter of priority for her two daughters.
there are not a lot of resources online for ireland, so i keep hitting brick walls. a trip to derry is not an option just now, as i have a teenager and two babies who demand much of my time. i am only across the water in scotland so its not exactl a million miles away, but too far to be able to make an progress.

i have a fair wee bit of information dating to the birth of james mcgaffigan / mcgavigan on 15/1/1883 at 27 orchard row, derry.....to john mcgaffigan and annie mcnulty.

i also know that there is a connection to the singer / politician Dana, although im not sure of the exact connection, my guess is through elizabeth (murphy) mcgavigan.

where did you manage to get the information ?

many thanks again
gill

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 December 05 20:58 GMT (UK) »
hello gill, i went back to the cemetery to-day, you were quite right about that address.(1 sloans tce) was the wrong one, it was 40 ferguson street, while i was there i enquired about the other one, but no luck,it looks like she is not buried at the city cemetery. if you know where she lived or where she was from i could nearly work out where she is buried.

i know what you mean about getting info. in ireland i live here and its not easy. at the miniute i am looking for info. for 1901+1911 census for belfast to see both i would have to travel to dublin. there isnt even a street map of derry, the last one was printed ten years ago,and is out of print. is it any wonder we are called the back water of europe.well thats enough giving out for now ha ha.   

please let me know if i can be of any more assistance to you, until then kind regards.               mary.
doolin?
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline gill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 December 05 21:13 GMT (UK) »
mary, many thanks for your reply.  sloans terrace threw me a bit.

how did you find out who elizabeth ( murphy) mc gavigan's parents were?

i will send you details that i do have...........its worth a try..............you can then see if you can be help any further.........it would be nice to have someone who is actually in derry to do a bit of digging around if you have time.

thanks again
gill

Offline Bryt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 December 05 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Just to put my three-pennyworth in regarding McNulty's and Dana --  I have it on good authority that there are LOADS of McNulty's in Irvinestown, County Tyrone and I understand Dana has connections to Irvinestown as well ( she's very well known there).
RIP August 2006  Sharp.. Colclough.. Allen.. Leach.. Bromley.. Rawlinson.. Ridgway.. Locker.. Pott.. Burton.. Hartshorne.. Renshaw.. Steele.. Wattison.. Dawes.. Spode.. Hurlstone or Earlstone.. Hill or Warren Hill.. Adams.. Poole.. Wheat.. Griffin.. Machin.. Jones.. Worsdale.. Baggott.. Plant.. Bennett.. Mansfield.. Challinor.. Lear.. Loud.. Passmore(Sedgley).. Bradley(Lower Gornall/Northumberland)..

All Stoke on Trent unless stated otherwise.

Offline gill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 December 05 16:20 GMT (UK) »
many thanks for the reply, Bryt.
I havent yet went down the McNulty branch, and as yet I am still unsure as to exactly where Dana fits in, though I will bear Irvinestown in mind when I do eventually have enough information to reseach further.

do you by any chance know what Dana's connection is to Irvinestown?

many thanks
gill