Author Topic: Library Service - Wicklow Co. Council - Link  (Read 14347 times)

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
Re: Library Service - Wicklow Co. Council - Link
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 April 07 18:24 BST (UK) »
The School in early l820's was in the centre of the village of Kilcoole.  In 1824 there was a two teacher school in the village with 38 boys and 19 girls on the roll.

In 1825 Mr James Scott of Ballygannon built a new female school and teachers residence with a slate roof   adjoining the existing thatched school  the new school cost 67 pounds

From Kilcoole Co Wicklow a local history

best wishes

Mo
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 April 07 18:36 BST (UK) »
I don't think that the book is available in Bookshops.  I will ask around and see if its available and will get you a reference number etc. or if I can I will try and get you a copy. (I cannot promise but will do my best)

No there is no graveyard at Kilquade House, but I have not got the MI for the graves around Kiquade Church.

I will look (after the wedding lol)

But later on I will copy the information from the book about Kilquade Church and environs.

Best wishes

Mo
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 April 07 18:37 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering would the O'Reilly family have had a town house in Dublin and a country house at Kilquade ???

Maybe they were buried in Dublin. If the house had it's own cemetery surely the present owners would have mentioned that fact.

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 April 07 21:10 BST (UK) »
I don't think that the book is available in Bookshops.  I will ask around and see if its available and will get you a reference number etc. or if I can I will try and get you a copy. (I cannot promise but will do my best)

No there is no graveyard at Kilquade House, but I have not got the MI for the graves around Kiquade Church.

I will look (after the wedding lol)

But later on I will copy the information from the book about Kilquade Church and environs.

Best wishes

Mo

And best wishes to you all for the wedding, no rush for the genealogy, surprised you even have time to think of it so close to the day.
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 20 April 07 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Dudley,

An update for you,  I went into the Library today and got my hands on Cantwells Memorials of the Dead for Co. Wicklow.

There are only one family of Cuthberts listed in this area.  They were a family that lived in Bray.  I can get you photocopy of those entries.  They were  buried in the protestant graveyard in the parish of St Peters in Bray.

Certainly I was able to confirm that there was no entry for Cuthberts in Kilquade graveyard.

As for the O'Reillys I didn't have long enough in Library to check that out. But did put a formal request in to the local studies group for any documentation that may be available on Kilquade House and its history.

I will come back to you when I get an answer from them.  I am "back" on the road from tomorrow so will get your photos of the Church and its surroundings and pictures of the area for you.

If you could PM me with your e-mail address I will forward directly the images.

Best wishes

Mo

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 27 April 07 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Dudley,

Another update,  I got a call from my local Library,  They have been given a bundle of information that you will find really interesting.

Firstly I have to publicly thank Robert from the Local Studies Group in Ballywaltrim Library for all his hard work in collating the info for me (and you) he was really helpful.  (And Robert... I know you have been here on Rootschat and hope that I will be able to pop in and say a personal thank you for all your efforts.)[/i]

I will IM you with all the info and will post it to you shortly...

Best wishes

Mo

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 16 May 07 14:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you all for all that hard work.  I just got the package and Moscan and Robert from the Library service, I hope that I too will be able to drop in and thank you both for all the documents you've found for me ... perhaps later this year.

Sheila
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)

Offline Wicklow descendant

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 14 November 08 20:01 GMT (UK) »
 :)
Hi Mo,

I'm looking for any information on the Cuthbert family: Robert ,steward to Kilquade house around 1825, and any of his children, one of whom was Henry who became apprenticed to a bookbinder in Dublin in 1825.  Henry's apprenticeship was later continued with a Richard Cuthbert (in Eustace Street Dublin) who may have been an older brother or another family relative but I presume that meant they all went away to Dublin.  I don't know if any of the family would still have stayed on in the Kilcoole area but would be very interested to know.

Hi Dudley!  I came across your post via Google and so I've just this minute joined this forum in order to reply.  I am a descendant of the Cuthberts that Mo found for you in St. Paul's cemetery in Bray.  The immediate ancestor of my Bray Cuthberts, namely Christopher Cuthbert, is listed in the Delgany Parish Register, as are the following children of a Robert and Olivia Cuthbert: 

William b 2 Sept 1810 Kilquade;
Robert b 19 Sept 1813 abode Woodstock;
Mary Anne b 22 Oct 1815 Kilcoole;
Jane baptised 14 June 1818 abode Glen of Downs; and
Robert born 23 Apr 1821, bap 26 Apr 1821 (mother spelled as Olymphia)  :).

Since  Robert & Olivia (who I think may be the people you are interested in) and Christopher went to the same church, they could have been related.  Can you shed any light on this?  The Society of Genealogists in London has the Delgany Parish Register booklets as does the C of I archives in Dublin.
Beggs, Buckley, Cuthbert, Dalton, Doyle, Roe/Rowe, McDonald, Valentine & Whitton in or near Bray, County Wicklow
Cuthbert of Killincarrig, County Wicklow
Lodge & Stanley of Dublin City
Carey, Cox & Griffin of County Dublin

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 14 November 08 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Wicklow descendant,

It's lovely to hear from you and welcome to RootsChat.  When you have sent a couple more messages we will be able to correspond by the PM (Private Message) system too.

My maternal greatgrandmother was Emma Cuthbert and her father was Henry but I think that it was most probably his father, also Henry, whose apprenticeship documents I have in my keeping.

I haven't yet been able to follow up the information that Mo sent or even to confirm that they were definitely our Cuthberts but your information about the births in Kilquade/Kilcoole clinches it.

I am planning a trip to Dublin in January with one of my daughters to do some further research on this, and to enjoy being in Dublin, of course.  I hope to plan a rather longer trip when I have more details of the family history and a better knowledge of where all these places are.

Sheila