Author Topic: STEWART/STUART HALL  (Read 5688 times)

Offline teap78

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my mum Gemma Doyle 1950s
    • View Profile
STEWART/STUART HALL
« on: Sunday 27 November 05 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me anything about Stewart Hall my mother said she remembers being there in 1940+ during the war when they were evacuated from belfast.

Teap
Doyle, Mullan, Mulholland, O'Neill, McCann, Lowry, Mullen, Forsythe, Magilton, Farnan.  Banbridge Co Down , Belfast Co Antrim and Dungannon Co Tyrone .

Offline eddiekelso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: STEWART/STUART HALL
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 December 05 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

If you search in Google under "Stewart Hall" you will get lots of info.

Best wishes,

Eddie
Kelso, McDowell, Kerr, Gamble, Harkins, Nelson (Kinallen, Dromara - 1st Dromara Presbyterian Church).
Kempton, Artt, Boon, Murray (Cookstown, Co. Tyrone)

Offline teap78

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 December 05 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Eddie I'll give it a go.  ;D

Colette
Doyle, Mullan, Mulholland, O'Neill, McCann, Lowry, Mullen, Forsythe, Magilton, Farnan.  Banbridge Co Down , Belfast Co Antrim and Dungannon Co Tyrone .

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 February 06 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me anything about Stewart Hall my mother said she remembers being there in 1940+ during the war when they were evacuated from belfast.

Teap

Hi Colette,

Just wondering if you found all the information you require about Stewart Hall.

All the Best, Chris 

Offline teap78

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 February 06 01:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi-ya Chris, you must be a mind reader thats what i was just doing i was in google looking for it but didn't find much. I was at my Mums yesterday have a wee Hoke in her drawers lol (dressing table Drawers that is) and I came across a letter my Gran sent her when she was getting married to my Dad, you see my Mum and Dad married in Birmingham. Any way Mum had wrote home for her Baptism lines and Confirmation lines to be posted over (you need these to get married Apparently)   The letter was dated 28th Aug 1956 mum married on the 12th of September 56.
In the letter my Gran says find enclosed your Baptism lines all i can tell you about your Confirmation is that it took place in Coalisland Co Tyrone in 1944, As you know you went from Stewart Hall in cars along with your teachers who were also your Sponsors, I do not know the name of the Church But i do know you were Confirmed.

So here i am trying to find the church and a little bit about Stewart Hall.

Colette

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 February 06 01:53 GMT (UK) »
Colette,

What a lovely expression "a wee hoke through her drawers" It was very kind of you to take the trouble to explain precisely what you were doing although that was not necessary. My mother's parents came from the Ballyeaston, Ballyclare area and Mother (who died in the 1980s) was born in the north of Ireland in 1909.

Dad, although born in Liverpool (the Capital of Ireland) was educated at Galway Grammar School. He spent all his working days in the north of Ireland and was well versed in the colloquialisms and vernacular of this part of the world.

All the Best to you Colette,

Chris 

Offline Ryan123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 August 10 20:03 BST (UK) »
stuart hall is a private estate and of course hense how stewartstown got its name as its in it but it is a lovely place and will have changed alot from the 40s as its no just  a house with walkways round it but sadly not open to the public. i live in ardboe (carnan) not 500 yrds from the place

Offline jj.carroll

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 02:22 BST (UK) »
 :( While this may be off subject just a bit, I thought it was interesting that the subject should come up. 

Stuart Hall was a very exclusive girls high school located in the Pacific Heights area of San Francisco.  That and the convent, for the Lone Mountain Girls College (now part of USF), were located in some of the most exclusive mansions of the City. Run by the religious of Sacred Heart there was a hearty connection between it and the Jesuit's schools.

;D At one time it also had a boy's school, but they have all been brought together.  However, the initiation is steep: $41000 for a year's schooling.

Mother Helen Carroll was the principal at the boy's school.  And her brother, Father Patrick Joseph Carroll was a Jesuit.  They were the children of Thomas and Kitty Carroll, once residents of the Eskragh valley of County Tyrone, and now of San Francisco.  They were also the cousins to Mikey McCarroll, the Fintona public house proprietor, who married Agnes Bridget Gaffigan.

So, you can say that a different Stuart Hall holds a special place for me.  8)

Carroll, McCarroll, McCusker and McCosker from County Tyrone. Then there are Dillen for Derry, Gaffigan, McGaffigan, Crennan, and Amos.  Now adding: Leonard, Berry, and Gahagan from Strokestown, County Roscommon, also Gahigan, Hounihan, and Whonohan and another branch of Carrolls from County Cork.