Author Topic: Manchester Address 1922 - COMPLETED - MADE ANOTHER REQUEST RE ELECTORAL ROLLS  (Read 2662 times)

Offline 3merrylads

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Manchester Address 1922 - COMPLETED - MADE ANOTHER REQUEST RE ELECTORAL ROLLS
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 March 09 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
thanks for the reply very similar situation, my Gran was sent from Sheffield to Mitchell street to have my Dad, he then went back to be brought up by his Gran and his Mum went to London.
Will let you know if I find anything more.

Regards

3 Merry Lads

Offline Zephyr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Manchester Address 1922 - COMPLETED - MADE ANOTHER REQUEST RE ELECTORAL ROLLS
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 March 09 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello 3merrylads

What a situation to be an unmarried mother back then - at least your Dad was lucky enough to be brought up by a member of the family.

Were your family Baptists?  This might be an avenue to approach the dilemma from!

Kind regards.

Zephyr
Census information is Crown Copyright from nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davros123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 February 13 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I saw your post... my mum was born at this address in 1923..... did u find any more info about the address/
Cheers
Ros

Offline Zephyr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 February 13 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello Davros123

"It would seem that Mitchell Street was a branch of the Salvation Army mothers hospital in the Ancoats area of Manchester; this information came from the Manchester County records Office."

This information was given to me by 3merrylads (above).

Hope this is of some help to you.

Kind regards.

Zephyr
 :)
Census information is Crown Copyright from nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 3merrylads

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 February 13 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Davros123,
Yes Zephyr is correct, it was a Salvation army home (also know as the Star Hall - there are pictures and photos on the web)  that took in unmarried mothers and cared for them during pregnancy and sometimes afterwards, my Gran and Dad were there for 6 months after he was born but when she returned home he was cared for and brought up by the family and to the outside world would be her little brother. This only came out when he was in his seventies.
The building is no longer there and the road has been renamed, Merrill Street.  The Salavtion army do have records for this time and they actually had the records I was after which amazingly filled in all the blanks. I just emailed them, Kevin Pooley was the contact there.
Hope this is of some help. :)